The essential guide to layering your look this autumn
Posted on September 12 2017
The essential guide to layering your look this autumn
Thanks to our notorious British weather, layering is something most of us are adept with at this time of year. Knowing that it can be a gloriously sunny and warm day when we arrive at work, and cold and wet by the time we leave – layers are the only answer to remain comfortable throughout the day.
Forget adding a jumper to your outfit! Layering is a tactical skill, perhaps even an art, in combining clothes so each layer works independently as an outfit.
It’s really quite simple. Let’s take an example – you’re wearing jeans, a shirt and a jacket. If you remove the jacket, does the outfit look complete? If the answer is yes – you’re already successfully layering your look!
Ok, so let’s start from the basics. That means working on the base layer first. You’ll want a lightweight item here – a thin cotton or oxford shirt, for example. You need a material that can breathe, so cotton or a cotton blend is essential. Anything else will become too hot and leave you feeling uncomfortable.
Let’s move on to the middle layer, and what you’re probably going to be wearing for most of the day. Denim jackets on a crisp white shirt is a cool look this autumn, although the classic pullover is also making a return and we feel is great for that smart casual office look. Again, you’re wanting to opt for a natural fabric such as wool to prevent getting too hot – it’s all about breathability.
Take a read of our guide to gentlemen’s fashion styles this autumn for some inspiration
Your final layer is your outdoor clothing – coats, hats and scarves. You want this to be the thickest layer to keep on top of those cold temperatures. A good wool blend coat or even a leather jacket can work well with your chosen style.
It’s worth having a brief foray into the world of colours and patterns when it comes to layering. This autumn bold and bright colours and prints are all the range, and, well… they don’t always work so well when it comes to creating layers.
One of the best ways of keeping on trend without clashing colours is to get a little technical with a colour wheel – you’ll find these all over the internet with a quick search. Colours that are opposite each other contrast well, so if you’re wanting to incorporate those bright reds and oranges this autumn opting for blues and violets is a good choice. Colours that sit next to each other on the wheel are similar shades that naturally work together well.
Wearing patterns can be a good way of adding a little excitement to a layered outfit, but avoid jarring patterns and choose just one. Though repeating patterns can be just as bad – shirts and a tie with stripes isn’t the best combination.
Layering your clothes isn’t hard, but it can make all the difference to your comfort and style this autumn. So, heed our advice and be sure to check out our cotton shirts before you go.
- Is It Acceptable To Wear a Short Sleeve Shirt For Business?
- Why pink is proving to be a popular choice in menswear
- How To Overcome That Office Stress by Working Out At Your Desk
- The Most Popular Menswear Colours For Spring and Summer 2019
- Suit wearing rules you really should follow
- How Adaptive Clothing Is Making Fashion More Accessible
- 7 Menswear Trends Set to Dominate in 2019
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?