The Gentleman’s Guide to Dressing for Business Travel
Posted on November 12 2017
Travelling for business.
The vision always seems so much better than the reality, right?
New countries, new people – it’s a great way of doing business, for sure, but back to back meetings often means little time for the fun stuff.
And the travel itself can be a real pain in the neck.
Overheated trains, planes or even worse – air-con on full! It can be a real nightmare knowing what to wear to be comfortable and arrive looking and feeling great.
Here’s some useful nuggets of advice on dressing for business travel
Decide what you’re going to travel in
A crumpled suit and sweat-stained shirt never makes a good impression when you’re getting collected at the airport.
So, it can be tempting to leave the suit in the suitcase and travel casually dressed.
That’s one sure way of getting a creased suit full of folds and wrinkles a travel iron is going to struggle to cope with!
Wear a lightweight cotton shirt with slim chinos or dark jeans to travel, but do wear your suit jacket. This keeps you feeling cool, comfortable and keeps that suit looking great for the meetings ahead.
Plan your business wardrobe
A capsule wardrobe is a good idea when travelling for business. Having classic and versatile items enables you to quickly pull together outfits for any occasion that might crop up during your stay.
Neutral colours are the key here – grey, white, black and navy are wise choices.
You’ll want trousers that are comfortable – chinos work well with a suit jacket or a t-shirt. Consider the weather and choose your trousers accordingly, think wool or flannel for cold temperatures, and linen-cotton blend for warmer climates.
At least one shirt is essential for those crucial negotiations but keep it lightweight and breathable. Synthetic fibres don’t breathe well so you want a lightweight cotton to keep you comfortable. A few plain t-shirts for your downtime is a sensible and easy to pack choice.
Consider your footwear carefully. You might have to slip them off at the airport and suitcases leave limited room for more than one pair. Loafers are a sensible option that are comfortable and can be easily dressed up or down to suit the occasion.
Casual wear shouldn’t be forgotten. You’ll want to be able to layer when those warm days turn into cool nights so make sure you pack a comfortable cardigan, wool jumper and some polo necks for that casual smart comfort.
Make sure you take the right luggage
A sturdy travel bag with plenty of room is essential whether it’s a short-haul domestic trip or you’re going transatlantic.
Look for a bag with wheels that’s lightweight and easy to carry but durable – leather and aluminium are good choices.
Got any extra tips for dressing well for travel? Leave them below!
- Why pink is proving to be a popular choice in menswear
- How To Overcome That Office Stress by Working Out At Your Desk
- The Most Popular Menswear Colours For Spring and Summer 2019
- Suit wearing rules you really should follow
- How Adaptive Clothing Is Making Fashion More Accessible
- 7 Menswear Trends Set to Dominate in 2019
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman