Every man’s guide to packing a shirt for travelling
Posted on September 05 2017
Whether you’re a frequent flyer or just travel on an occasional basis, it’s important to make the most of your suitcase and keep your shirts as safe and wrinkle-free as possible. Although it’s not possible to prevent all wrinkles from happening, packing your shirts with our useful guide will certainly help.
Fold or roll? The debate is still strong, but we recommend the rolling technique to save time, space and wrinkles!
Step one – lay the shirt out and do up every button to prevent wrinkles. Then fold the collar upwards. Step two – fold the sleeves diagonally across the front of the shirt. You’re wanting it to look like an ‘X’. Step three – smooth out the wrinkles! Any wrinkles in the shirt now will get worse if left. Step four – turn up a few inches of fabric at the bottom of the shirt, ensure it’s equal both sides. Step five – fold the sides of the shirt(s) inwards so you’re left with around a third of the shirt’s width remaining. Step six – starting from the collar, tightly roll downwards. The tighter the better so take your time. Step seven – pull over the folded inches at the bottom of the shirt to keep the roll together. When you arrive at your destination your shirt will have fewer wrinkles than with standard folding, but it’s impossible to prevent them completely.
Our top tips to resolve the problem of wrinkled clothing are:Check with the hotel whether you get an iron in your room, or can obtain one at the reception desk. If not, invest in a travel steamer – they’re worth every penny. Plastic helps minimise friction, a key cause of wrinkles. So, pack your shirts in a plastic dry cleaner bag, or even a large zip lock bag! Minimise space in your luggage. Treat your packing like a jigsaw puzzle and fit clothes and other items into any gaps. You want the heaviest items at the bottom, your rolled shirts and other clothes in the centre and everything else slotted in to fill any holes in the sides. Of course, one of the simplest things you can do is invest in a travel ready wardrobe with shirts made from wrinkle resistant fabric, but when that isn’t possible taking care and attention with your packing is the best way of ensuring your shirts arrive in optimal condition.
- How to Wear and Care for a Linen Shirt
- Shirt Collar Types Plus Who should and How to Wear Them!
- What to Wear For Men Spring 2021
- The Three Types of White Shirt Everyone Should Own!
- how to stay focused, professional and productive while working from home.
- Is it acceptable to wear a short sleeve shirt for business?
- Why pink is proving to be a popular choice in menswear
- How to overcome that office stress by working out at your desk
- The Most Popular Menswear Colours For Spring and Summer 2019
- Suit wearing rules you really should follow
- How Adaptive Clothing Is Making Fashion More Accessible
- 7 Menswear Trends Set to Dominate in 2019
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- best white shirts
- home working attire
- top tips for working from home
- what to wear on zoom meetings
- what to wear when working from home
- working from home