Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
Posted on August 02 2018
We’re talking about wearing your suit as separates today, which might seem controversial to some but it really is a fantastic way to get more mileage out of your wardrobe, and being able to enjoy more versatility from your favourite pieces.
Before we delve into this too deeply, it is worth pointing out that there are some suits that should never be separated, particularly pinstripes. It’s a tricky pattern to make work with other items and so unless you’re feeling daring, should be left as a two-piece.
Mixing and matching suits is a great way to get started with tailored separates
When you want a tailored look with a bit of pizazz and personality, mixing separates from two suits together can be a great way of achieving that. Make sure that all items are of a similar cut, i.e. fitted jacket and trousers. Trying to combine a fitted jacket with loose trousers isn’t going to work.
You’re aiming for both items to look natural when worn together. So along with a similar cut, you want colour combinations that work well, adding too much variety will turn visual interest into comedy rather than the stylish sophistication you’re looking for.
Choose a neutral base colour to act as a foundation for your separates
You should select an anchor colour and base item to serve as a foundation for the separates you’ll be wearing together. A checked shirt is a great option for this as the different colours in the pattern can be matched with the separates to tie everything together effortlessly.
If you’re not sure about colour combinations, head over to our blog where we explored things in a little more detail to make things even easier for you.
Stick with the classic combinations that are proven to work well
There are plenty of tailored separates that have already been successfully combined into classic looks that work well, so rather than reinventing the wheel try giving them a go for yourself.
Dark blazer and light trousers
This is an easy and versatile combination that will instantly notch up the stylish stakes. Choose separates of a similar cut to keep the look sleek and streamlined, a classic navy blazer over a pale blue or white shirt is a guaranteed winner.
Light jacket with darker trousers
There’s one colour combination that works oh so well for this, and that’s a light grey jacket with navy trousers. For a more formal look choose a wool blend jacket with flannel trousers, but when you want to dress down and have some fun chinos and a looser fitting blazer is certainly the way to go.
Navy blazer with jeans
This is something a little more daring and certainly casual in appearance as it mixes fabric types, but for some reason, it’s a combination that does work exceedingly well. Good quality denim is key here but try experimenting with different shades to find the combination that’s right for you.
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman
- Colour psychology in business wear
- Can Denim Ever Belong in the Office?
- How to dress correctly for a black-tie event
- Avoid Those Winter Fashion Mistakes With Our Top 5 Tips
- The Perfect Guide to Choosing a Winter Coat
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Dressing for Business Travel
- Mastering the Tape Measure – How to Size Yourself for a Suit
- Simply the best accessories to go with a business suit
- Classic Tie Knots Every Gentleman Should Know – The Four in Hand vs the Half Windsor
- Should you always dress to impress at a job interview?
- How to avoid a cheap suit – the tell-tale signs to look out for
- The gentleman’s guide to washing a shirt