Suit colour combinations that work
Posted on April 13 2018
Whether you want to quickly put your outfit together while bleary-eyed in the morning, or you carefully prepare your shirt and suit the night before, sometimes a lack of inspiration can make our office wear feel more like a uniform than an expression of our individuality.
We’ve talked about the psychology of colour in business wear before and the kind of impact it can have on us wearing it, and those we encounter during the day. Now it’s time for us to share some simple but effective colour combinations that not only look good but also keeps you from spending too much time deciding what to wear!
Using your natural skin tone can be a good way of determining which colours to wear in the office
We tend to fall within one of three skin tones – pale, warm and dark, but did you know that each tone works better with certain colours than others?
When you’re fair, it’s important to avoid bright colours like orange and yellow. A good combination is a light blue shirt with dark grey trousers, or for some fun try a pink shirt with a blue suit.
For a warmer complexion, avoid shades that are too light or too dark. Beige, brown and blue are the right colours for you, but let’s be honest, don’t sound too exciting! Jazz them up by teaming with a green or pale red shirt.
Darker skin tones should avoid shades that are too bright or dark. Black, blue and grey are great suit colour choices and can be coupled with light green, yellow or pink shirts.
If contrasting colours are more your style, we’ve got some shirt and trouser suggestions for you too
A light shirt with dark trousers is a great way to meet that smart casual look with a successful colour combination. Great shirt colours are light pink, white, beige and baby blue, they work so well with dark trousers such as navy, chocolate and camel shades.
If you prefer the opposite and want to try a dark shirt with light trousers – that works too! We think that maroon, purple, dark blue and black shirts look fantastic and work really well with beige, cream and light grey trousers.
We should really mention patterns when we’re talking about suit and shirt combinations
It can be tricky to know which patterns can be teamed together and many of us choose to abandon the idea completely and stay with safe, solid colours instead.
If you want to wear a striped or checked shirt then a solid suit colour is essential, try to choose the same colour but a different shade that’s within the shirt design.
If you prefer a checked or striped suit, you can choose a solid shirt colour, or you can be adventurous and try a shirt with polka dots instead!
Colour combinations don’t have to be boring, but they do take a little care and thought to get right. Why not try experimenting the next time you dress for work?
- How to Wear and Care for a Linen Shirt
- Shirt Collar Types Plus Who should and How to Wear Them!
- What to Wear For Men Spring 2021
- The Three Types of White Shirt Everyone Should Own!
- how to stay focused, professional and productive while working from home.
- Is it acceptable to wear a short sleeve shirt for business?
- Why pink is proving to be a popular choice in menswear
- How to overcome that office stress by working out at your desk
- The Most Popular Menswear Colours For Spring and Summer 2019
- Suit wearing rules you really should follow
- How Adaptive Clothing Is Making Fashion More Accessible
- 7 Menswear Trends Set to Dominate in 2019
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- best white shirts
- home working attire
- top tips for working from home
- what to wear on zoom meetings
- what to wear when working from home
- working from home