Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
Posted on October 29 2018
Men wearing cardigans has become something of a marmite phenomenon, with many guys embracing the idea and loving their winter woollies to others loathing the concept that cardigans can be worn by anyone other than women and grandparents.
Despite the traditional cliché of cardigan-wearing men, we think they’re a great fashion item and perfect for the colder weather that’s rapidly looming over the horizon. If you’re wondering how you can wear cardigans the stylish way, read on for our handy guide to this practical and stylish winter fashion item.
The button-up cardigan is perfect for colder weather
It’s also the type you probably remember your granddad wearing when you were a child. To avoid prematurely ageing yourself with this cardigan, it’s a good idea to keep the buttons small and modest in appearance to avoid the grandpa look.
Sleek and sophisticated is your aim here, but get it right, and it’s a fantastic option for a three-piece suit rather than a conventional waistcoat. Just keep the fabric light and simple for the smart-casual look.
Winter calls for a chunky knit cardigan
When warmth is what you’re after there’s little better than a chunky knit cardigan for casual wear. The great thing about chunky knits is that they come in a variety of colours and patterns, making them super stylish and perfect no matter the look you’re aiming to achieve.
For a luxurious touch opt for cashmere or merino wool versions to keep you looking great while staying warm.
The longline cardigan is an ideal option for the layered look
Autumn and spring bring the changeable weather that means you can be freezing one minute and roasting the next. When you want a transitional piece that works with your ensemble and can be quickly thrown on when needed, the longline cardigan is the one you’re looking for.
The longline cardigan is excellent for the chilled out look too, when worn with a statement t-shirt and skinny jeans regardless of the time of year.
Some general cardigan-wearing do’s and don’ts
Colour can make or break your outfit when it comes to wearing a cardigan, so bear in mind a few simple concepts, and you won’t go too far wrong:
For colder months stick to an autumnal colour palette – black, brown, khaki and plum are the options that work best at this time of year.
Save the bright and bold colours for summer wear – we’re talking those mustard yellows, burnt orange, tan and beige options that can easily dominate your ensemble.
The fabric is an important consideration too. While wool has been the conventional fabric for cardigans, things have changed somewhat in the fashion industry, and a wider choice is now available. Fabrics other than wool are better suited for the longline casual cardigan, but experimenting with wool types and weave is a great way to keep your cardigan collection interesting.
- How to Wear and Care for a Linen Shirt
- Shirt Collar Types Plus Who should and How to Wear Them!
- What to Wear For Men Spring 2021
- The Three Types of White Shirt Everyone Should Own!
- how to stay focused, professional and productive while working from home.
- Is it acceptable to wear a short sleeve shirt for business?
- Why pink is proving to be a popular choice in menswear
- How to overcome that office stress by working out at your desk
- The Most Popular Menswear Colours For Spring and Summer 2019
- Suit wearing rules you really should follow
- How Adaptive Clothing Is Making Fashion More Accessible
- 7 Menswear Trends Set to Dominate in 2019
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- best white shirts
- home working attire
- top tips for working from home
- what to wear on zoom meetings
- what to wear when working from home
- working from home