Why pink is proving to be a popular choice in menswear
Posted on March 13 2019
Pink shirts, hoodies and ties have been around for a while now. A few years ago, it was commonly associated with the word “metrosexual”, meaning a man in touch with his feminine side. Today, it’s safe to say that pink is a popular colour for all men, regardless of their sexuality and gender. So, how has pink become a wardrobe staple for so many?
Pink was a common colour for boys until the 20th century
You might have been brought up thinking that blue is for boys and pink is for girls, but this is a very modern invention. For centuries, toddlers were usually dressed in white but, perhaps surprisingly, when colours were used for boys it was quite often pink.
Pink is just a diluted version of red, you see. Red being a strong and powerful masculine colour, associated with Mars (named after the God of War) and quite the opposite to how we perceive pink today where we’re much more likely to think of flowers, dolls and skipping ropes!
Wearing pink well is all about matching your skin tone
So, you want to wear pink regardless of the meaning that may lay behind the colour, what’s the best way of pulling it off?
Well, as with most colours, it’s vital to match it with your skin tone to avoid you looking too washed out, or even red faced. If you’re of a light and cool skin tone, it’s better to stick to warmer shades of pink like salmon. If you have a naturally warm skin tone, opt for paler shades of pink.
Unfortunately, if you are very pale and light-skinned, pink can be a struggle to wear well but a great option in this case is to team it up with another colour, like our sky blue and pink shadow stripe Oxford shirt.
The best ways to wear pink
You don’t have to choose pink as your main outfit colour. There are other options for introducing the colour in a more subtle and relaxed way. Wearing pink as an accessory is a great choice, think hats, ties and pocket squares to introduce a fun flash of colour.
The Oxford shirt is the perfect choice for a smart casual look, team up a pale pink with a pair of indigo jeans for a great colour combination. Another great contrast is a strong dusty pink worn with grey slacks.
Another popular choice is pink trainers. Thanks to the streetwear trend they’ve been around for a few years now and are now available in a range of styles from pumps to classic style trainers and converse.
The classic shirt and suit combo was almost made for pink shirts, the colour just contrasts so well against a black of navy suit. Whether you opt for a bright and bold shade of pink or you opt for subtle stripes instead, you can check out our range of pink shirts here at W H Taylor Shirtmakers.
- The Three Types of White Shirt Everyone Should Own!
- how to stay focused, professional and productive while working from home.
- Is It Acceptable To Wear a Short Sleeve Shirt For Business?
- Why pink is proving to be a popular choice in menswear
- How To Overcome That Office Stress by Working Out At Your Desk
- The Most Popular Menswear Colours For Spring and Summer 2019
- Suit wearing rules you really should follow
- How Adaptive Clothing Is Making Fashion More Accessible
- 7 Menswear Trends Set to Dominate in 2019
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- best white shirts
- home working attire
- top tips for working from home
- what to wear on zoom meetings
- what to wear when working from home
- working from home