What to wear with a black shirt
Posted on October 02 2018
A black shirt is such an iconic and versatile item that you probably have several hanging in your wardrobe, but here’s a question for you. Do you tend to throw your shirt on over a t-shirt and jeans, or do you know how to mix and match it with other items to create several great looking outfits?
We’re going to share with you our best tips and ideas for making the most out of your black shirt so you’ll never be stuck for inspiration again. Ready?
Black shirt with a suit
A lot of men avoid wearing a black shirt with a suit, but it’s a look that can be easily achieved. The trick is that it needs to be a black suit, with a black tie to match. A great tip for getting this black suit and shit combo to work well for you is to focus on shades. Having two different shades of black will add a touch of interest and definition to the look.
Now the best piece of advice we can give you with this combination is to ensure that everything fits exactly as it should. Wearing all one colour can have a very slimming effect, but if things are a little too baggy it’ll have the opposite effect with everything blending into one.
Go for the biker style with your black shirt
If you want a slightly more edgier look, wearing your black shirt with a leather jacket is a great option. It’s a softer alternative look that lends itself well to the warmer months when it can be teamed up with jeans and chunky boots.
Opting for a looser shirt fit here will work better than something on the tight side, comfort is what you’re aiming for with this smart casual look.
Black shirt with grey trousers and slacks
This is a classic combination that works just as well as the black shirt and jeans combo you’ve probably worn more often than not. Grey trousers work well with virtually anything, the neutral shade just compliments other colours so well. You’re not limited to plain trousers here either, checks and pinstripes can work equally well.
When it comes to wearing grey trousers with your black shirt, it all comes down to the fit again, in this particular case, ensuring both items are the same fit. Baggy trousers with a slim fit shirt really aren’t going to work well together.
How to layer your black shirt for best results
As we are rapidly heading towards the cold winter weather now, layering your outfit is going to be one of the best ways to stay warm while looking great. There are a couple of tips for getting this right when wearing a black shirt.
Have a simple white t-shirt as the base layer. Crew neck t-shirts work best for this, but it’s the monochrome aspect that’s important here. .
Sweater vests are the better option when it comes to jumpers. Patterns like Argyle work well to add some visual interest without contrasting too much with the rest of your ensemble.
- Is It Acceptable To Wear a Short Sleeve Shirt For Business?
- Why pink is proving to be a popular choice in menswear
- How To Overcome That Office Stress by Working Out At Your Desk
- The Most Popular Menswear Colours For Spring and Summer 2019
- Suit wearing rules you really should follow
- How Adaptive Clothing Is Making Fashion More Accessible
- 7 Menswear Trends Set to Dominate in 2019
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?