What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
Posted on November 17 2018
It can be tricky knowing what to wear to your work’s party, particularly if you already have a laid-back dress code in the office, but the party is the perfect opportunity for you to shine and dress up smart to make a lasting impression.
Do be sure to check if there is a dress code for the event in place before you shop for your look, some companies go all out with yuletide black tie balls that your smart casual approach isn’t going to work for. If in doubt, ask your colleagues and check out photos from previous years.
Formal Christmas Party
The critical thing to remember here is that formal doesn’t mean you have to hire an expensive tuxedo for the event (though by all means, you can if you want to). What formal dress is all about is a smart two-piece suit.
Navy works really well for this as in the right light it looks black but is a great base colour for a subtly coloured shirt. If suited and booted really isn’t your thing, you can tone things down a bit with a blazer and chinos instead.
The shirt is probably the most important part of this look and opting for a crisp white dress shirt is the best approach to take, building the rest of your ensemble from there.
Smart Casual Dress
This is the preferred dress code for most office parties because let’s face it, you just want to let your hair down and party the night away, right? The great thing about smart casual is that you can really allow your personality to shine through, and yes, maybe even get away with a novelty Christmas shirt.
Balance is what you’re looking for here, so we suggest smart trousers and shoes with the casual side of things taken care of with a fun shirt, crew neck jumper or even by layering a cardigan over a plain shirt.
When choosing a jumper for this look, it’s the layering approach you need to bear in mind. If things get too warm and you need to take it off, will your ensemble be ruined? Have a shirt underneath that can work by itself for best effect.
More smart than casual
When there’s no defined dress code, but you want to err on the side of caution and be more smart than casual, the best way to spruce up your look for Christmas is by sticking to your regular office look but brightening things up with a pop of colour.
Shirt and smart trousers are what we’re talking about here, but why not opt for a nice lilac or lemon yellow shirt that adds visual interest while still making a great impression. Try toning things down a little with boots rather than polished shoes for a slightly more laid-back edge to things.
You might be able to get away with black denim for smart casual nights out, but when you’re erring on the side of caution, it’s best to stick to dark chinos or suit trousers.
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman
- Colour psychology in business wear
- Can Denim Ever Belong in the Office?
- How to dress correctly for a black-tie event
- Avoid Those Winter Fashion Mistakes With Our Top 5 Tips
- The Perfect Guide to Choosing a Winter Coat
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Dressing for Business Travel