What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
Posted on July 06 2018
There’s nothing quite like receiving a brand new bespoke shirt. It looks pristine, and you certainly want to keep it that way. While professional laundering is often the best way to take good care of a bespoke and hand-tailored shirt, it isn’t always the cheapest or most convenient of methods.
In fact, we’d argue that professional cleaners aren’t always up to the job when it comes to shirts. High temperatures, overdoing the starch and intense pressing techniques can all cause damage to a shirt over time.
Here’s our advice on keeping your new shirt in tip-top condition.
Wash your shirt before you wear it
This ensures that any toxic chemicals involved in the dying process have been removed and it makes the material softer too. It’s best to machine wash on a gentle cycle using lukewarm water. This preserves the colour of your shirt and extends the life of the fabric.
Remember to separate colours before you launder your shirts
Whites, colours and darks is the golden rule when it comes to separating shirts for the laundry to prevent colour lifting and ‘runs’. Avoid bleaching your dark coloured shirts and stick with a colour-safe bleach for the lighter colours.
Keep stains in check before they ruin your shirt
Apply deodorant to your body and not your shirt. While it’s tempting to have a quick spritz over your shirt in the morning, antiperspirant stains can be tricky to remove. When you do spot a stain, launder the shirt immediately to prevent the stain from setting in and getting absorbed into the fabric.
If you’re away from home, there’s an emergency solution at hand. Put some cold water on the stain which will keep it from setting until you get home
Go easy on the starch
Starch builds up over time and weakens the cotton fibres of your shirt. Buy a shirt with a high thread count and use the minimal amount of starch you can get away with to prevent this from happening.
Iron your shirt while it’s still damp
This prevents you from scorching the shirt and preventing any damage, and it makes it easier to get the wrinkles out too.
Check for stains again before you begin to iron, the heat will permanently set the stain into the fabric.
Once your shirt has been ironed, hang it up on your wardrobe immediately to prevent any wrinkles re-appearing overnight. A good and sturdy wooden wardrobe is still the best at preventing issues from heat and humidity in your home.
Do you have any hints and tips you rely on when keeping your brand new bespoke shirt crisp and clean? Let us know by dropping a comment below.
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman
- Colour psychology in business wear
- Can Denim Ever Belong in the Office?
- How to dress correctly for a black-tie event
- Avoid Those Winter Fashion Mistakes With Our Top 5 Tips
- The Perfect Guide to Choosing a Winter Coat
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Dressing for Business Travel
- Mastering the Tape Measure – How to Size Yourself for a Suit
- Simply the best accessories to go with a business suit
- Classic Tie Knots Every Gentleman Should Know – The Four in Hand vs the Half Windsor
- Should you always dress to impress at a job interview?