What is the Best Way To Wash a Dress Shirt?
Posted on May 08 2017
We have already discussed in previous articles the best way to remove a stain from a dress shirt, and here we want to answer the question - what is the best way to wash a dress shirt? If you look after your shirt and wash it properly, you will be able to go on wearing it for several years, while maintaining it's fresh and clean look.
Many people just hand their shirts straight over to the dry cleaners, whether they be dress shirts, work shirts, or other. Dry cleaners don't however necessary 'dry clean' shirts unless this is what you have specifically asked for. Many will wash the shirt in a regular washing machine with detergent, and then press it. Depending on the method the cleaner uses, this can be hard on the shirt, perhaps shortening its life, however it is convenient and relatively inexpensive too, and so favoured by many people despite the downside. It is possible to dry clean dress shirts, however we don't really recommend this. While it may prolong the life of the garment, it will be difficult to remove water-based staining and grime, and they may not appear as fresh as when laundered in a regular way. This can also be an expensive way to get your shirts cleaned too.
Washing a dress shirt yourself at home is far from the inferior choice. By washing the shirt at home, this allows you to have control over the temperature your shirt is washed and ironed at, potentially extending it's life beyond that which professional cleaners might give it. Any stains on the shirt should be pre-treated first, before machine washing it, and then considering they are not grimy, it is recommended that dress shirts are washed in the machine on a delicate cycle. If they do require more cleaning, then a normal cycle should be good enough - you don't want anything too harsh. Similarly, the detergent you use should be high quality to ensure that the shirt gets clean on a delicate wash at a low temperature. This means that it will be more gentle on the fibres too. It is recommended that you unbutton all buttons on the shirt, including collar and cuffs, before washing it. We think it best that you don't tumble dry your shirts, basically because air drying is always best for the fibres of the garment.
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman
- Colour psychology in business wear
- Can Denim Ever Belong in the Office?
- How to dress correctly for a black-tie event
- Avoid Those Winter Fashion Mistakes With Our Top 5 Tips
- The Perfect Guide to Choosing a Winter Coat
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Dressing for Business Travel