What is the Best Way to Launder a Cotton Shirt?
Posted on February 14 2017
Cotton shirts are worn as an everyday practical item of clothing. This means, that in turn they should be cleaned in the most efficient and effective way, while prolonging their life. While some men, depending on their lifestyle, prefer dry cleaning for their cotton shirts, others want a way of cleaning them at home. So, what is the best way to launder a cotton shirt?
There is no need to hand wash a cotton shirt, save this time and effort for delicates such as silk, and in fact it isn't all that easy to get odours out of a cotton shirt by hand washing alone. Machine washing on a warm cycle is sufficient, with a regular washing powder or liquid, specifically for whites if preferred. Never use hot water for washing cotton shirts as this can shrink the fibres of 100% cotton, as well as cause quicker wear and tear to the garment. If you have to deal with any stains, they can be pre-treated before washing the shirt, but be sure to use something suitable for the fabric type.
Buying well made, good quality cotton shirts should be seen as an investment, as treated properly they will certainly outlast their cheaper counterparts. Shirts are an item of clothing that make you feel smart, and keeping the fabric fresh looking is all part of this. By choosing the best way to launder a cotton shirt, and being mindful of the fabric, your high quality cotton shirts will last longer and stay looking good.
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman
- Colour psychology in business wear
- Can Denim Ever Belong in the Office?
- How to dress correctly for a black-tie event
- Avoid Those Winter Fashion Mistakes With Our Top 5 Tips
- The Perfect Guide to Choosing a Winter Coat
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Dressing for Business Travel
- Mastering the Tape Measure – How to Size Yourself for a Suit
- Simply the best accessories to go with a business suit
- Classic Tie Knots Every Gentleman Should Know – The Four in Hand vs the Half Windsor
- Should you always dress to impress at a job interview?
- How to avoid a cheap suit – the tell-tale signs to look out for
- The gentleman’s guide to washing a shirt
- Style in Business – What to Wear to a Client Meeting
- Let’s Talk About Collars and Cuffs – a Guide to Formal Shirts
- The essential guide to layering your look this autumn
- Every man’s guide to packing a shirt for travelling