What is the best fabric for a dress shirt?
Posted on May 24 2017
Dress shirts can come in a variety of fabrics, and this leads to people often asking - what is the best fabric for a dress shirt? There is a wide range of fabric suitable for dress shirts, but here we will focus on the most common.
Broadcloth, sometimes referred to as Poplin, is a popular fabric for dress shirts. This is a fabric which is tightly woven, and it has a very slight sheen to it. Broadcloth shirts are worn often for business, and pleasure, because of the smart professional look they give, and their smooth finish with next to no texture. As a fine and lightweight fabric, broadcloth or poplin for dress shirts is a great choice.
End-on-end is a type of broadcloth that is also used for dress shirts. It has a very subtle texture, which can only really be noticed up close, and is light weight.This fabric can be used for formal shirts, business shirts and other smart shirts.
Twill fabric does have a texture to it, but a very fine texture. Up close you will notice a diagonal weave. This is a lightweight fabric with a very slight sheen to it, again making it a great option for dress shirt fabric. When ironed, this will not appear as sharp and crisp as a broadcloth shirt, it is a bit more drapey as silk can be. Nevertheless, Twill is an option for making formal shirts.
Pinpoint, sometimes referred to as Oxford Cloth, or Pinpoint Oxford, is another fabric that can be used for formal shirts. Shirts made in Pinpoint, or Oxford Cloth, are smart and durable, however more favoured for work shirts, rather than formal and occasion shirts. The heavier nature of the fabric makes this a less popular option for a formal shirt.
Royal Oxford fabric has a certain shine to it, and so is considered a good fabric for dress shirts. It does have a more prominent weave than other such fabrics, but it is still regarded as a good choice of material for having dress shirts made.
Linen and Cotton
Both linen and cotton are known for their breathable qualities, and their practicality in warmer climates. Linen will tend to be worn more looser and so 100% linen is not used for dress shirts, however linen blended with cotton is often opted for.
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman
- Colour psychology in business wear
- Can Denim Ever Belong in the Office?
- How to dress correctly for a black-tie event
- Avoid Those Winter Fashion Mistakes With Our Top 5 Tips
- The Perfect Guide to Choosing a Winter Coat
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Dressing for Business Travel