Wedding Suits and How They Started
Posted on July 22 2018
It’s summer now, and we’re firmly into the wedding season, but have you ever stopped to wonder how wedding fashion began? While Highland dress and military uniform have their roots firmly placed in historical tradition, when did we start to wear the wedding suit and how exactly did it evolve?
To answer that question, we’re going to take a quick step through time and have a look at the evolution of men’s wedding attire.
Back in the day, the groom would be just as extravagant in their clothing as the bride
We’re talking about those luxurious furs that only the wealthy could afford, embroidered silks, velvets and trimmings of precious gems and gold. It was Prince George (George IV) that took wedding extravagance and competition with his bride to the next level.
His bride, Princess Caroline of Brunswick was so heavily dressed in jewels, expensive fabrics and furs that she nearly passed out during the wedding ceremony, but George wasn’t to be outshined on his wedding day. With some striking stockings, silks, velvets and jewellery made from pearls, he quickly became the talk of Europe.
Of course, the everyday man would struggle to afford this kind of dress and would probably wear their usual ‘Sunday best’ for the occasion, if they had that. It wasn’t unusual for working-class men to wear their regular clothes as they seldom had anything better.
It was another Royal couple that turned the tide for wedding fashion
When Queen Victoria married Prince Albert, the groom’s attire truly started to resemble what we recognise and wear today. Prince Albert took the rather bold and unusual step of wearing a Field Marshall’s uniform for the wedding to ensure that his bride would be the focus of attention on her special day, she was the Queen after all.
While Queen Victoria started the trend for the classic white wedding dress, it was the cut of Albert’s suit that led to the beginnings of the man’s wedding suit that we see today. The morning suit we tend to choose resembles that of his military uniform with the cutaway front and tails. Clean lines and precision were the new wedding style and one that’s stood the test of time well since 1840.
Since Post-War Britain, it’s the fashion trends of the day that has influenced the wedding suit
Grooms began to wear a lounge suit rather than the more formal suits seen before the first and second world wars, and as fashion changed to flares and power-suits, so did the wedding suit. These days there’s so much choice with wedding suits that almost anything goes.
Discover our collection of fine shirts to wear with your wedding suits knowing that you’ll be comfortable in your choice of attire thanks to our bespoke touches and hand-tailoring.
- Is It Acceptable To Wear a Short Sleeve Shirt For Business?
- Why pink is proving to be a popular choice in menswear
- How To Overcome That Office Stress by Working Out At Your Desk
- The Most Popular Menswear Colours For Spring and Summer 2019
- Suit wearing rules you really should follow
- How Adaptive Clothing Is Making Fashion More Accessible
- 7 Menswear Trends Set to Dominate in 2019
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?