Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
Posted on June 09 2018
It’s the time of year where we get short heatwaves, horrid humidity and the occasional thunderstorm – yes, it’s summer, or at least the British version of the season. While most of us look forward to the warmer weather in our free time, it seems that effective air conditioning is yet to hit our offices and other workplaces.
That’s why we’ve put together our top tips for staying cool this summer.
Be smart with your style choices
Dressing appropriately for the heat can be tricky in the UK when our weather is less than predictable, but it is the best way to stay cool when the mercury rises.
Dressing in layers is the easiest way to achieve this with a short-sleeved shirt under a suit jacket. If short-sleeves aren’t an option in your line of work, make sure you understand your fabrics. Avoiding heavy materials like wool and opting for ‘breathable’ fabrics like silk, linen and cotton poplin are the best way to go.
Be travel wise on your commute
While not in the office as you travel, getting things wrong here can lead you to being hot and frustrated before you’ve even set foot in the building. Setting off earlier is a good way to avoid the stress of crowded buses, tube trains and trams and when walking make sure you stick to the shady side of the street.
One thing that can cause you to overheat as you travel is carrying too much with you. Ditch what you don’t need and travel light.
Consider your food choices carefully
Breaking down food takes a lot of energy out of your body, and where there’s energy, there’s heat. Surprisingly, the best way to cool down is to have spicy food for lunch! The capsaicin found in chilli stimulates sweat production, which is the body’s natural way of cooling down. Just make sure you wear the right material to avoid any unsightly sweat patches!
It goes without saying that staying hydrated is important too, keep topping up your body’s fluid levels with water throughout the day.
Keep curtains and blinds shut in the office
You want to prevent a ‘greenhouse effect’ in your office caused by light being reflected by the glass. Keeping curtains and blinds closed prevents this from taking place. There is some debate over keeping windows open or closed when it’s getting too hot. The answer is to figure out if it’s warmer inside or outside – the last thing you want is to let more warm air into the office when you’re trying to keep it cool.
And our last tip? Make sure you turn off anything electronic that isn’t in use. Electrical items generate a lot of heat that can add to the overall temperature of the office, so if it’s not being used switch it off. You get to stay cool and help the environment at the same time.
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman
- Colour psychology in business wear
- Can Denim Ever Belong in the Office?
- How to dress correctly for a black-tie event
- Avoid Those Winter Fashion Mistakes With Our Top 5 Tips
- The Perfect Guide to Choosing a Winter Coat
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Dressing for Business Travel
- Mastering the Tape Measure – How to Size Yourself for a Suit
- Simply the best accessories to go with a business suit
- Classic Tie Knots Every Gentleman Should Know – The Four in Hand vs the Half Windsor
- Should you always dress to impress at a job interview?