The Perfect Tie Knots
Posted on June 17 2017
How to tie the Windsor (Double Windsor) knot.
Wide and Triangular.
A full knot best suited for spread collar shirts.
1. The wide end "A" should extend about 12 inches below narrow end "B". Cross wide end "A" over narrow end "B".
2. Bring wide end "A" up through loop between collar and tie; then back down.
3. Pull wide end "A" underneath narrow end "B" and to the left, and back through the loop again.
|4. Bring wide end "A" across the front from left to right.|
5. Pull wide end "A" up through the loop again.
|6. Bring wide end "A" down through the knot in front.|
7. Using both hands, tighten the knot carefully and draw up to collar.
Symmetrical and Triangular.
A knot you can use with any dress shirt.
|1. The wide end "A" should extend about 12 inches below narrow end "B". Cross wide end "A" over narrow end "B".||2. Bring wide end "A" up around and behind narrow end "B".|
|3. Bring wide end "A" up.||4. Pull wide end "A" up and through the loop.|
|5. Bring wide end "A" around front, over narrow end "B" from left to right.||6. Again, bring wide end "A" up and through the loop.|
|7. Bring wide end "A" down through the knot in front.||8. Using both hands, tighten the knot carefully and draw up to collar.|
How to tie the Four-in-Hand knot
Narrow and slightly asymmetrical.
The perfect knot for a standard button-down dress shirt.
|1. The wide end "A" should extend about 12 inches below narrow end "B". Cross wide end "A" over narrow end "B".||2 . Turn wide end "A" back underneath narrow end "B".|
|3. Continue by bringing wide end "A" back over in front of narrow end "B" again.||4. Pull wide end "A" up and through the loop around your neck.|
|5. Hold the front of the knot loosely with your index finger and bring wide end "A" down through front loop.||6. Remove finger and tighten knot carefully to collar by holding narrow end "B" and sliding the knot up.|
How to tie the Pratt (Shelby) knot
|1. Start with the tie inside out, The wide end "A" under the narrow end "B".||2. Take wide end "A" over and under narrow end "B".|
|3. Pull the loop down and tighten||4. Take wide end "A" over to the left.|
|5. Pull wide end "A" up, behind the loop.||6. Bring wide end "A" through the knot and gently tighten. The tip of "A" should touch your belt buckle.|
1. After you've tied your knot but before you tighten it up to your throat, neatly pinch the fabric directly underneath the knot.
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman
- Colour psychology in business wear
- Can Denim Ever Belong in the Office?
- How to dress correctly for a black-tie event
- Avoid Those Winter Fashion Mistakes With Our Top 5 Tips
- The Perfect Guide to Choosing a Winter Coat
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Dressing for Business Travel
- Mastering the Tape Measure – How to Size Yourself for a Suit
- Simply the best accessories to go with a business suit
- Classic Tie Knots Every Gentleman Should Know – The Four in Hand vs the Half Windsor
- Should you always dress to impress at a job interview?