The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
Posted on April 29 2018
Denim has long been a staple fashion item for the smart casual look, but let’s turn our attention away from jeans and look at the jacket instead. Perfect for layering and our current ‘is it spring or is it summer?’ temperatures, we love the timeless appeal and versatility that the denim jacket allows.
Interestingly, the denim jacket was created by accident. It was created as a way to re-use the scraps of denim left over from making jeans.
The denim jacket goes through phases of popularity but never truly falls out of fashion favour
The denim jacket comes in a range of cuts and styles, but it is important to make sure it’s the right length for you – sitting around the waist. If it’s too long it’ll look more like a shirt and too short can add a feminine effect to your look.
Essentially, it should have a slimming effect and streamline your look, so take care at the point of purchase to make sure it looks sleek when buttoned up, sits around the waist and that you can move your arms freely.
What should you be wearing with your denim jacket?
Well, that’s down to you and your personal style, although we do have a few ideas!
Denim jeans and jacket – you can go for the ‘double denim’ look with the same colour jeans and jacket, but this can feel a little ‘OTT’ so we suggest mixing things up. If you have a light jacket, try dark jeans, or opt for a brightly coloured jacket like red, or even a muted grey.
Layering – we’ve talked about layering a few times before in this blog, but denim jackets really do lend themselves to it well. As they’re lightweight, they’re ideal for adding as an extra layer to an already complete outfit. Adding a denim jacket to a shirt and chinos ensemble can effortlessly create that smart casual look.
Team up with a t-shirt – there’s something classic about the jeans and t-shirt combination. The plain white t-shirt is often the first choice teamed with indigo or black jeans but try experimenting with different colours to find your desired look.
With a shirt and tie – yes, you heard it, you really can wear a denim jacket with your shirt and tie. Teamed up with an oxford shirt and a knitted tie rather than the usual silk can create an informal business look perfect for the office.
Under a top coat – a coat on top of a jacket? As the denim jacket is slim fitting, it’s perfectly placed to be worn under a top coat for those cold and wet days. The juxtaposition can make a real fashion statement!
Just make sure that you take good care of your denim jacket
Denim is designed to be infrequently washed, so don’t put it in your washing machine on a regular basis. Spot clean any dirt or marks, air it out when needed and if washing is essential, keep it to a cold wash on a short cycle.
Have you got any tips for wearing a denim jacket with style? Feel free to drop them as a comment below!
Photo by Rifky Ilham Ramadhan from Pexels
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman
- Colour psychology in business wear
- Can Denim Ever Belong in the Office?
- How to dress correctly for a black-tie event
- Avoid Those Winter Fashion Mistakes With Our Top 5 Tips
- The Perfect Guide to Choosing a Winter Coat
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Dressing for Business Travel
- Mastering the Tape Measure – How to Size Yourself for a Suit
- Simply the best accessories to go with a business suit
- Classic Tie Knots Every Gentleman Should Know – The Four in Hand vs the Half Windsor
- Should you always dress to impress at a job interview?
- How to avoid a cheap suit – the tell-tale signs to look out for
- The gentleman’s guide to washing a shirt
- Style in Business – What to Wear to a Client Meeting
- Let’s Talk About Collars and Cuffs – a Guide to Formal Shirts
- The essential guide to layering your look this autumn
- Every man’s guide to packing a shirt for travelling
- Gentlemen’s Fashion Styles This Autumn 2017
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Wearing Check Shirts
- A Quick Guide to Shirting Fabric and Weaves