The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
Posted on April 29 2018
Denim has long been a staple fashion item for the smart casual look, but let’s turn our attention away from jeans and look at the jacket instead. Perfect for layering and our current ‘is it spring or is it summer?’ temperatures, we love the timeless appeal and versatility that the denim jacket allows.
Interestingly, the denim jacket was created by accident. It was created as a way to re-use the scraps of denim left over from making jeans.
The denim jacket goes through phases of popularity but never truly falls out of fashion favour
The denim jacket comes in a range of cuts and styles, but it is important to make sure it’s the right length for you – sitting around the waist. If it’s too long it’ll look more like a shirt and too short can add a feminine effect to your look.
Essentially, it should have a slimming effect and streamline your look, so take care at the point of purchase to make sure it looks sleek when buttoned up, sits around the waist and that you can move your arms freely.
What should you be wearing with your denim jacket?
Well, that’s down to you and your personal style, although we do have a few ideas!
Denim jeans and jacket – you can go for the ‘double denim’ look with the same colour jeans and jacket, but this can feel a little ‘OTT’ so we suggest mixing things up. If you have a light jacket, try dark jeans, or opt for a brightly coloured jacket like red, or even a muted grey.
Layering – we’ve talked about layering a few times before in this blog, but denim jackets really do lend themselves to it well. As they’re lightweight, they’re ideal for adding as an extra layer to an already complete outfit. Adding a denim jacket to a shirt and chinos ensemble can effortlessly create that smart casual look.
Team up with a t-shirt – there’s something classic about the jeans and t-shirt combination. The plain white t-shirt is often the first choice teamed with indigo or black jeans but try experimenting with different colours to find your desired look.
With a shirt and tie – yes, you heard it, you really can wear a denim jacket with your shirt and tie. Teamed up with an oxford shirt and a knitted tie rather than the usual silk can create an informal business look perfect for the office.
Under a top coat – a coat on top of a jacket? As the denim jacket is slim fitting, it’s perfectly placed to be worn under a top coat for those cold and wet days. The juxtaposition can make a real fashion statement!
Just make sure that you take good care of your denim jacket
Denim is designed to be infrequently washed, so don’t put it in your washing machine on a regular basis. Spot clean any dirt or marks, air it out when needed and if washing is essential, keep it to a cold wash on a short cycle.
Have you got any tips for wearing a denim jacket with style? Feel free to drop them as a comment below!
Photo by Rifky Ilham Ramadhan from Pexels
- How to Wear and Care for a Linen Shirt
- Shirt Collar Types Plus Who should and How to Wear Them!
- What to Wear For Men Spring 2021
- The Three Types of White Shirt Everyone Should Own!
- how to stay focused, professional and productive while working from home.
- Is it acceptable to wear a short sleeve shirt for business?
- Why pink is proving to be a popular choice in menswear
- How to overcome that office stress by working out at your desk
- The Most Popular Menswear Colours For Spring and Summer 2019
- Suit wearing rules you really should follow
- How Adaptive Clothing Is Making Fashion More Accessible
- 7 Menswear Trends Set to Dominate in 2019
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- best white shirts
- home working attire
- top tips for working from home
- what to wear on zoom meetings
- what to wear when working from home
- working from home