The Three Types of White Shirt Everyone Should Own!
Posted on February 15 2021
The white dress shirt has been a long-time staple of any Sartorialist wardrobe. Despite an increasing amount of time spent away from the office, and people, and real-life meetings - looking smart and feeling stylish is as important as ever.
Here we suggest the three top, absolute must haves in white shirt wearing!
A favorite as far back as the 18th century, for men of this era the white shirt was a symbol of wealth and class distinction. Also permeating the women's fashion scene during this period when Marie Antoinette’s donning of a loose and billowing white blouse dress for a portrait caused uproar amongst the bourgeoisie for such a common material being adorned by royalty.
Here we are in the 21st century where the white shirt remains a staple for any wardrobe conscience professional and any fashion conscience anyone! Humble yet transformative, it offers endless styling opportunities. For males and females alike, the white shirt can be dressed up or down to create classic looks that stand the test of time. Whether paired with a tailored suit and tie, worn as part of a dress suit or loosely tucked into jeans, its universality does not mean one style fits all.
THE DRESS SHIRT – dating back to the 1800s the dress shirt, whilst evolved from the frills and ruffles of days gone by, remains an important staple. With a dizzying number of options available from collar to cuffs, plackets to pockets, there is no one size fits all - finding the right style for you and your outfit is what's important. Regardless of your choices the collar should be stiff and tall enough to stand out above the lapels of a suit.
THE OXFORD BUTTON DOWN – Invented by the Brooks Brothers and made famous by the likes of Clarke Gable, Fred Astaire and Miles Davis to name but a few the oxford button down shirt was, and still is, a timeless classic. Renowned for its basket weave using thicker yarns than the more formal poplin, the versatility and durability of this type of shirt means it can be dressed to suit so many different looks.
THE LINEN SHIRT – A modern take, ideal for layering throughout the year, styling a linen shirt offers many options and adds an effortless air to any look. For a more texturized formal look wear under a suit to bring some contrast to your outfit. You can roll up the sleeves and pair with chinos for a more informal approach, or wear with fitted shorts for the coolest summer look. Whatever you do make sure your linen shirt fits well. While its fabric allows for a relaxed and rumpled look, baggy and ill-fitting is a definite no.
- The Three Types of White Shirt Everyone Should Own!
- how to stay focused, professional and productive while working from home.
- Is It Acceptable To Wear a Short Sleeve Shirt For Business?
- Why pink is proving to be a popular choice in menswear
- How To Overcome That Office Stress by Working Out At Your Desk
- The Most Popular Menswear Colours For Spring and Summer 2019
- Suit wearing rules you really should follow
- How Adaptive Clothing Is Making Fashion More Accessible
- 7 Menswear Trends Set to Dominate in 2019
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- best white shirts
- home working attire
- top tips for working from home
- what to wear on zoom meetings
- what to wear when working from home
- working from home