Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
Posted on November 23 2018
It’s safe to say that winter is well and truly here and while you might be avoiding the novelty Christmas jumper this year, knitwear can be a fantastic choice for stylishly keeping warm over the next few months.
With a wide variety of knit types and styles to choose from, we’ve got a simple guide to keep your wardrobe warm and fashionable until the return of spring.
Crew neck jumper
The most popular and versatile jumper around, the crew neck works well for casual fashion styles. With a collarless neckline, the crew neck is ideal for layering on top of a shirt when worn under a jacket.
We think this jumper style is so popular because it’s very flattering to wear. It draws the eye to the upper half of the body creating a square frame effect, ideal for creating a sleeker silhouette or drawing attention away from small or sloping shoulders.
When warmth is a priority, the turtleneck has to be the jumper of choice. It’s a classic wardrobe item that works well with a two-piece suit, or a pair of indigo jeans. This jumper style is particularly well-suited to taller gentlemen who want to draw attention upwards and away from their middle.
If you don’t like the heavy feeling of wool around your throat, the ‘mock neck’ jumper is a great variation as the fabric stands up around the neck rather than rolling down. Perfect for creating a slimming effect.
Another classic and versatile jumper that deserves a place in your wardrobe, the v-neck is an excellent throw-over jumper when some extra warmth is needed. This jumper is perfect for wearing over a shirt as the deep collar enables the shirt beneath to be easily displayed and with room for a tie too.
If you want to add a bit of flair to your ensemble, opting for an Argyle v-neck rather than a plain jumper is a fantastic way to introduce a pop of colour and style.
Is a cardigan a jumper? Actually, it is, and so we have to discuss its merits in our knitwear guide for men. The cardigan is so versatile and has seen a surge in popularity over the last decade or so that it’s a cool choice for any fashion-conscious man.
Traditionally, a cardigan should have buttons or a zip for closure, but open style cardigans are now popular and a great choice when wearing a statement t-shirt underneath. An unbuttoned cardigan can be worn the same as any jacket or blazer, making it perfect for throwing on when temperatures drop.
With the cold weather now upon is there’s never been a better time to invest in some chunky knitwear for the dark days ahead. What’s your preferred style? Let us know in the comments below how you like to wear your jumpers.
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman
- Colour psychology in business wear
- Can Denim Ever Belong in the Office?
- How to dress correctly for a black-tie event
- Avoid Those Winter Fashion Mistakes With Our Top 5 Tips
- The Perfect Guide to Choosing a Winter Coat
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Dressing for Business Travel