Summer shoes and how to wear them
Posted on June 18 2018
Lighter shoes are essential during summer, no wants that sweaty sock feeling (yuck!). The good news is that most summer shoes can be worn year-round so buying the right pair of shoes now doesn’t mean they have to stay at the bottom of your wardrobe for the rest of the year.
What do we actually mean by summer shoes anyway?
Well, they’re lighter for one thing and tend to have more ventilation (though we’re not talking quite as drastic as the multi-holed crocs). They’re the shoes that don’t make your feet sweat, feel light, comfortable and work well with your summer fashion.
There are a few different types of summer shoe – so let’s crack on with what you really need to know
Boat shoes are just what they sound like – designed to be worn on boats.
Invented in 1935 to prevent sailors slipping on wet decks, boat shoes are great if you want a change from conventional canvas shoes and trainers. With a rubber sole they’re perfect for wearing outdoors although they do need to be broken in by soaking them in a little water and wearing until they’re dry.
Boat shoes are best worn with – an oxford shirt and casual chinos, although tailored shorts and a light jacket works well too.
Brogues are the most formal we get with our list of summer shoes. They’re great for smart summer events when dressing up is important, but you might be surprised to hear that they were originally intended to be worn for walking around the Irish and Scottish countryside. A very popular shoe with low heels, toe and heel caps we think every man should own at least one pair of brogues.
Brogues are best worn with – a lighter coloured summer suit or a smart blazer with slacks. Suede is the best option for surviving the office in the summer heat.
Canvas shoes are the summer shoe of choice. And let’s face it, who doesn’t own a pair of trainers, Converse or Vans? Light, breathable and versatile we love the wide range of canvas shoes available for every budget.
Canvas shoes are best worn with – socks. Seriously, unless you want to be hobbling around with blisters all summer. Aside from that, we think they work well with denim jeans and shorts, adding a statement t-shirt and light jacket for that casual look.
Sandals are what we tend to think of when we say ‘summer shoes’ but often thought of as the choice of cyclists. We’re not saying there’s anything wrong with that, but there’s so much more that you can do with a pair of sandals. And let’s face it, they’ve been with us since Roman times so there must be something great about them, right?
Sandals are best worn with – swimming trunks and shorts. Sandals are perfect for lounging around the pool and walking around your sunny resort, try some gladiator style sandals if you intend on doing a lot of walking for extra support and stability.
There you have it, the best summer shoes and our suggestions for how to wear them. If you think we’ve missed anything add a comment below!
Photo by Web Donut from Pexels
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman
- Colour psychology in business wear
- Can Denim Ever Belong in the Office?
- How to dress correctly for a black-tie event
- Avoid Those Winter Fashion Mistakes With Our Top 5 Tips
- The Perfect Guide to Choosing a Winter Coat
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Dressing for Business Travel
- Mastering the Tape Measure – How to Size Yourself for a Suit
- Simply the best accessories to go with a business suit
- Classic Tie Knots Every Gentleman Should Know – The Four in Hand vs the Half Windsor
- Should you always dress to impress at a job interview?
- How to avoid a cheap suit – the tell-tale signs to look out for
- The gentleman’s guide to washing a shirt
- Style in Business – What to Wear to a Client Meeting
- Let’s Talk About Collars and Cuffs – a Guide to Formal Shirts
- The essential guide to layering your look this autumn
- Every man’s guide to packing a shirt for travelling
- Gentlemen’s Fashion Styles This Autumn 2017
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Wearing Check Shirts
- A Quick Guide to Shirting Fabric and Weaves