The impact of social media on menswear
Posted on March 23 2018
It seems that the days of popping along to M&S for your corporate wear are long gone, as bespoke shirt makers and luxury menswear retailers are increasingly rising to first place on the ‘where to buy’ list.
Thanks to vbloggers and male fashion influencers using Snapchat and Instagram to share their latest finds and opinions, the world of menswear has had a reawakening. No longer does it play second fiddle to ladies fashion, but is rapidly becoming a growing interest for consumers like you and I.
Digital media has encouraged the socialisation of men’s fashion
It’s not just the YouTube personalities that are encouraging this trend, but successful entrepreneurs are leading the way for business dress too. Marc Zuckerberg has established a trend for wearing the same clothing to work every day as it frees the mind for important decisions, for example.
While some influencers are heralding a shift away from dressing to impress others in order to be successful in what you do, it’s social media that’s leading the shift towards a new way to shop. It’s never been easier for you to identify a shirt, suit or other item on Instagram, or Pinterest, and be able to click through to an instant checkout.
Male fashion magazines have moved over for social media platforms apps
Magazines like GQ and Esquire have a defined target audience that didn’t work for the majority of men, but that’s no longer an issue where social media has quickly and effortlessly filled the gap. The variety available from a quick Pinterest search or glance through Facebook means that the male fashion market is expanding.
Growth is mainly in the casual wear sector, but when you consider the shift away from formal business wear in the office, that shouldn’t come as a surprise. It’s the sense of urgency that’s created by social media that has helped the rise of casual wear. When you consider that formal wear often needs a lengthy tailoring process, you can see why many men have decided to leave that behind.
So, what’s the future for menswear?
Well, there’s no sign of this trend slowing down, and a growing industry can only be a good thing for you and I. With continued investment and influencer marketing popular on social media, we’ll see more choice and even same-day office delivery for our coffee break purchases.
It’s certainly going to be easier to keep on top of trends and fashion changes by following social media accounts for instant news and updates. To find out our latest news make sure you’re following us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- The Three Types of White Shirt Everyone Should Own!
- how to stay focused, professional and productive while working from home.
- Is It Acceptable To Wear a Short Sleeve Shirt For Business?
- Why pink is proving to be a popular choice in menswear
- How To Overcome That Office Stress by Working Out At Your Desk
- The Most Popular Menswear Colours For Spring and Summer 2019
- Suit wearing rules you really should follow
- How Adaptive Clothing Is Making Fashion More Accessible
- 7 Menswear Trends Set to Dominate in 2019
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- best white shirts
- home working attire
- top tips for working from home
- what to wear on zoom meetings
- what to wear when working from home
- working from home