How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
Posted on May 12 2018
A short-sleeved button-up shirt can strike terror into the hearts of men around the world, not knowing how to wear it with style and finesse. Rather than sticking with your tried and trusted long-sleeved favourite in the stifling summer heat, take on board our top tips for wearing a short-sleeved shirt well.
Focus on the Fit
You want a slim shirt that isn’t too tight but not so loose it’s like a billowing sail in the wind! That’s especially important for the arms – you need to be able to move them around without restriction, but the baggy and saggy look really isn’t good.
In terms of length, shirts with short sleeves are best worn untucked or casually tucked so you won't want it too short, or too long. The right length is around the midpoint between your waist and your crotch.
Opt for the simple look
Short sleeves might go hand in hand with those loud and brash prints, but that doesn’t mean you have to wear them. A simple solid colour shirt that compliments the rest of your ensemble is the trick for playing it cool.
Go steady with the buttons
The short-sleeved shirt is a smart casual item so don’t button up to the collar. It’s uncomfortable, will trap the heat and looks rather silly. Leave the top two buttons undone so you can actually breathe and relax in comfort (just don’t go too low, no one needs to see that!)
Go for a tailored shirt
We’re not just saying that because we specialise in hand-tailored shirts, but because the fit and material matters. Soft light to medium weight fabrics are your friend here, so cotton poplin and linen are what you’re looking for, tailored to the right fit for you.
Layering is great for short-sleeved shirts
The good old British weather can be less than trustworthy, but the short-sleeved shirt is perfect for a layered look. To make it a little more formal, you can team it up with a blazer and tie or add a denim jacket for going outside on those cooler days.
A button-down collar is a great choice when you want a versatile shirt that will work well with a range of looks and styles.
Don’t neglect the rest of your outfit
Unless you’re just going out in your shirt (not advisable regardless of how hot it gets!), you need to pay attention to the rest of your outfit too. A streamlined look is your aim here so go for pieces that compliment that, rather than distract the eye. Smart, simple and clean cut are the key words here – shorts, chinos and a casual jacket all work well.
All our shirts come with short-sleeve option. Check out what's new here.
Photo by Fancycrave from Pexels
- The Three Types of White Shirt Everyone Should Own!
- how to stay focused, professional and productive while working from home.
- Is It Acceptable To Wear a Short Sleeve Shirt For Business?
- Why pink is proving to be a popular choice in menswear
- How To Overcome That Office Stress by Working Out At Your Desk
- The Most Popular Menswear Colours For Spring and Summer 2019
- Suit wearing rules you really should follow
- How Adaptive Clothing Is Making Fashion More Accessible
- 7 Menswear Trends Set to Dominate in 2019
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- best white shirts
- home working attire
- top tips for working from home
- what to wear on zoom meetings
- what to wear when working from home
- working from home