How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
Posted on May 12 2018
A short-sleeved button-up shirt can strike terror into the hearts of men around the world, not knowing how to wear it with style and finesse. Rather than sticking with your tried and trusted long-sleeved favourite in the stifling summer heat, take on board our top tips for wearing a short-sleeved shirt well.
Focus on the Fit
You want a slim shirt that isn’t too tight but not so loose it’s like a billowing sail in the wind! That’s especially important for the arms – you need to be able to move them around without restriction, but the baggy and saggy look really isn’t good.
In terms of length, shirts with short sleeves are best worn untucked or casually tucked so you won't want it too short, or too long. The right length is around the midpoint between your waist and your crotch.
Opt for the simple look
Short sleeves might go hand in hand with those loud and brash prints, but that doesn’t mean you have to wear them. A simple solid colour shirt that compliments the rest of your ensemble is the trick for playing it cool.
Go steady with the buttons
The short-sleeved shirt is a smart casual item so don’t button up to the collar. It’s uncomfortable, will trap the heat and looks rather silly. Leave the top two buttons undone so you can actually breathe and relax in comfort (just don’t go too low, no one needs to see that!)
Go for a tailored shirt
We’re not just saying that because we specialise in hand-tailored shirts, but because the fit and material matters. Soft light to medium weight fabrics are your friend here, so cotton poplin and linen are what you’re looking for, tailored to the right fit for you.
Layering is great for short-sleeved shirts
The good old British weather can be less than trustworthy, but the short-sleeved shirt is perfect for a layered look. To make it a little more formal, you can team it up with a blazer and tie or add a denim jacket for going outside on those cooler days.
A button-down collar is a great choice when you want a versatile shirt that will work well with a range of looks and styles.
Don’t neglect the rest of your outfit
Unless you’re just going out in your shirt (not advisable regardless of how hot it gets!), you need to pay attention to the rest of your outfit too. A streamlined look is your aim here so go for pieces that compliment that, rather than distract the eye. Smart, simple and clean cut are the key words here – shorts, chinos and a casual jacket all work well.
All our shirts come with short-sleeve option. Check out what's new here.
Photo by Fancycrave from Pexels
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman
- Colour psychology in business wear
- Can Denim Ever Belong in the Office?
- How to dress correctly for a black-tie event
- Avoid Those Winter Fashion Mistakes With Our Top 5 Tips
- The Perfect Guide to Choosing a Winter Coat
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Dressing for Business Travel
- Mastering the Tape Measure – How to Size Yourself for a Suit
- Simply the best accessories to go with a business suit
- Classic Tie Knots Every Gentleman Should Know – The Four in Hand vs the Half Windsor
- Should you always dress to impress at a job interview?
- How to avoid a cheap suit – the tell-tale signs to look out for
- The gentleman’s guide to washing a shirt
- Style in Business – What to Wear to a Client Meeting
- Let’s Talk About Collars and Cuffs – a Guide to Formal Shirts
- The essential guide to layering your look this autumn
- Every man’s guide to packing a shirt for travelling
- Gentlemen’s Fashion Styles This Autumn 2017
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Wearing Check Shirts
- A Quick Guide to Shirting Fabric and Weaves