A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
Posted on May 18 2018
If you ever dread opening those wardrobe doors knowing a jumbled mess of clothes is there to greet you, it’s a good time for a spring clean. When you spend your hard-earned cash on clothes you want to be taking top care of them, so here are our handy hints on how to keep your wardrobe organised like a gent.
Get rid of what you’re not wearing
It’s difficult to part with old clothes, but if you’re not wearing them anymore, then they’re just taking up valuable space in your wardrobe. Take anything you haven’t worn in the last year to a charity shop, especially those clothes you’re hanging on to in case you can fit into them again one day.
Decide how you’re going to organise your dress shirts and suits
You have a few options here but organise them you must. Suits and blazers tend to be best sorted into fabric type then colour, so you can easily find the right one according to the weather each day.
For shirts, colour sorting is the easiest option. You can then break things down further into short and long-sleeved, checks, stripes and patterns, and of course the miscellaneous section at the end.
Take those jumpers out of the wardrobe
Leaving jumpers on hangers can leave them misshapen, so it’s best to store them folded in your drawers instead (clearing up much-needed wardrobe space in the process). You can sort them by type, colour or warmth factor depending on how neat you like things. This is a great time to be using a de-bobbler to get those wool jumpers looking their best.
Do hang your jeans and trousers though
There’s nothing worse than a pair of wrinkled trousers, so hanging them up after ironing is a must. If you don’t have much wardrobe space prioritise the trousers and leave the jeans neatly folded in a drawer, or on a shelf.
Visibility is the key when sorting your shoes and accessories
You want to be able to see everything quickly and easily when deciding on your ensemble each day, so keeping your shoes and accessories organised and visible is the best way to do that. A shoe rack is by far the most useful way of keeping your shoes tidy and accessible.
For accessories, hooks in the wardrobe doors are handy for keeping ties tidy. Watch, and sunglass boxes are useful for keeping valuable items organised, and can be kept in your wardrobe or even under the bed if you’re short on space.
Don’t get too hung up on the hangers
But do keep them the same style – this means your eyes are drawn to your clothes rather than what they’re hanging on. Every time you remove a piece of clothing, move the empty hanger to the front of your wardrobe. This keeps things neat and tidy and makes it easier to put things away again too.
Have a hamper to keep on top of your laundry
Rather than re-using the same clothes over and over again because your laundry pile is out of control, get a hamper in your bedroom and pre-sort your dirty clothes ready for washing. A minute or so at the end of each day will keep your wardrobe fresh and working well when you need it to.
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman
- Colour psychology in business wear
- Can Denim Ever Belong in the Office?
- How to dress correctly for a black-tie event
- Avoid Those Winter Fashion Mistakes With Our Top 5 Tips
- The Perfect Guide to Choosing a Winter Coat
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Dressing for Business Travel
- Mastering the Tape Measure – How to Size Yourself for a Suit
- Simply the best accessories to go with a business suit
- Classic Tie Knots Every Gentleman Should Know – The Four in Hand vs the Half Windsor
- Should you always dress to impress at a job interview?
- How to avoid a cheap suit – the tell-tale signs to look out for
- The gentleman’s guide to washing a shirt
- Style in Business – What to Wear to a Client Meeting
- Let’s Talk About Collars and Cuffs – a Guide to Formal Shirts
- The essential guide to layering your look this autumn
- Every man’s guide to packing a shirt for travelling