The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
Posted on January 26 2018
Socks. Probably the least thought about fashion item and dependable Christmas present, but are we becoming complacent with our wardrobe staple?
Rather than being a bland essential to stay warm and comfortable, socks can add and detract from a sharp-suited ensemble. There’s a fine line between socks being a complimentary touch of colour to a dark suit or a bright and brash contradiction.
Choosing the right pair of socks to wear with your suit does need some consideration, but luckily for you, there are some basic guidelines to help you along.
Socks are one place you can clash
But it needs a careful approach.
You want a colour that’s picked out from the rest of your ensemble or has similar undertones. That means a bright pink can work well with a pale pink shirt, for example; but a lime green would probably come across as obnoxious.
Textured socks are a great way to add some fun
If you want to add some flair to your outfit, then wearing textured socks can be a great way to achieve that. Ribbed socks are a fantastic way to add some visual interest without compromising your overall style, but avoid wearing with pinstripes, or a patterned shirt.
Leave the gimmicky socks for Christmas
Those Gryffindor guitar wielding socks might look great in the store, but during a sales negotiation are more likely to distract than rise to the occasion.
There’s nothing wrong with patterns or motifs but keep them simple and appropriate. Avoid replicating patterns that are already in your shirt or suit.
Take care with how much sock you show
They come in different lengths for a reason - it’s because they’re designed to be worn pulled up. Too much ankle is never a good look and rolling, slouching and ‘trainer socks’ aren’t appropriate when worn with a suit, so save that for casual occasions.
Ideally, you want your trousers to skim the top of your shoes while standing up.
Time for the obvious one – keep your socks in good shape
You might think there’ll never be a time where you need to remove your shoes at work, but is that always the case? Home calls, meetings with foreign investors, and various religious buildings may call for you to go shoeless, and it could be more than embarrassing if there are holes, tears or they’re a little threadbare.
Socks also protect your shoes by wicking away the sweat you accumulate over the day, so look after them!
A final word on finding the right blend
Whether you go for wool, cashmere or silk, it’s important that you consider the blend carefully.
Wool is good for wicking away moisture and work well in hot or cold weather. Cotton is the most common fabric for socks which make them great for everyday wear, but when you really want to make the right impression, cashmere and silk are the luxury dress blend that commands respect.
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman
- Colour psychology in business wear
- Can Denim Ever Belong in the Office?
- How to dress correctly for a black-tie event
- Avoid Those Winter Fashion Mistakes With Our Top 5 Tips
- The Perfect Guide to Choosing a Winter Coat
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Dressing for Business Travel
- Mastering the Tape Measure – How to Size Yourself for a Suit
- Simply the best accessories to go with a business suit
- Classic Tie Knots Every Gentleman Should Know – The Four in Hand vs the Half Windsor
- Should you always dress to impress at a job interview?
- How to avoid a cheap suit – the tell-tale signs to look out for
- The gentleman’s guide to washing a shirt