Shirt Collars To Suit Face And Neck Shapes
Posted on April 24 2017
Dressing in styles that suit body shape has become second nature to most people nowadays, with much information about the best shirts to wear for different body types. However, not everyone knows how to choose a shirt with a collar that suits them. This is because there is more to choosing a shirt than just thinking about the shape of your body. How a shirt will suit you best, is if you choose a shirt collar to suit your face shape. Choosing the correct shirt collar for your face shape can really make a difference to your appearance, and so read on to see what tips we can give you for making the most of your shirt.
Shirt Collars for Round Faces
For those who have a round face, choose a shirt collar that will lengthen the face. The best shirt collar style for a round face is probably a point collar, or when choosing a spread collar be sure to choose one that has a narrow spread - a wide spread will accentuate a wide face. The same principle can be applied to a wide or square face in order to soften the jaw and draw the eye downward.
Shirt Collars for Long Faces
The trick is to try and balance out the face with the shirt collar, so a long face should avoid wearing collars which have long points pointing down. The best collar style for a longer face is one that will help the face to look wider, such as a spread collar with wide spread points. This will also work for heart shape faces that have a long pointed chin.
Shirt Collars for a Long Neck
As with face shapes, shirt collars for long necks can help to balance out an extreme feature. Choose the wrong shirt and collar style and a long neck could end up looking even longer. Those with a long neck might like to try wearing a shirt with a collar style which is quite deep, as this will give a more balanced illusion of a normal sized neck.
Shirt Collars for a Short Neck
Just as a deep collar can give the impression of a shorter neck, a shallower collar can lengthen a short neck visually. Think about it in terms of proportion, you don't want too much or too little of the neck on show - the aim is to create an illusion of balance.
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman
- Colour psychology in business wear
- Can Denim Ever Belong in the Office?
- How to dress correctly for a black-tie event
- Avoid Those Winter Fashion Mistakes With Our Top 5 Tips
- The Perfect Guide to Choosing a Winter Coat
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Dressing for Business Travel