Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
Posted on August 13 2018
Well, normally when August rolls around, we’re talking about autumnal fashion and wrapping up warm in style, but as this glorious heatwave slows little sign of ending anytime soon, we thought we’d cover an age all argument
Linen vs Cotton
More specifically, which is the better fabric for surviving this sweltering summer heat?
What is linen anyway?
Linen is an all-natural fibre which is made from the stalks of the flax plant. It’s believed that linen was being used to make clothing as far back as Ancient Egypt, 4000 years ago. But it was Belfast that became the linen capital of the world when it produced the most linen during the Victorian age.
So how is that different to cotton?
Well, cotton is another all-natural fibre that grows as fluff around the seeds of the cotton plant. It’s then spun into thread to be used to weave fabric for making clothes. It was during the industrial era of cotton mills that it really came into its own as a popular fabric.
Why is linen better than cotton?
Linen is a highly breathable fabric, and it’s absorbable too. What that means is you stay cooler for longer, and any moisture that is produced is quickly wicked away. That makes linen ideal for summer and working in offices without any air conditioning (we feel your pain).
Linen also happens to be 30% stronger than cotton and happens to last a lot longer, we’re talking years longer here. Cotton shirts tend to feel smooth and silky when new but can lose that soft touch over time whereas linen shirts tend to improve with age.
So why do some people think that cotton is the better shirt fabric?
Sometimes linen is a little too good at keeping you cool which isn’t great when you walk from the sweltering heat outside into the ice-cold air-conditioned office, yes, you’ll probably freeze. Linen isn’t able to insulate as well as cotton because it’s so breathable, and some people complain of the starchy scratchy feel of a new linen shirt.
The other argument from team cotton is that linen is difficult to keep looking good. There will be wrinkles and lots of them. This might be fine for a smart casual affair but probably best kept out of formal meetings and occasions.
Right, so linen is the better choice for shirts then?
We think that’s entirely down to personal preference and where you’ll be wearing the shirt, but linen is a fantastic choice for relaxed environments and smart casual events. Linen is an excellent all-rounder and versatile enough to be worn with chinos, jeans and even sports trousers for that laid-back look.
As linen improves with age and lasts so long, it’s definitely worth investing in a high-quality shirt that will stay the course. The good news is that linen is easy to care for, doesn’t need expensive dry cleaning and a quick iron when damp is more than enough to keep those wrinkles to a minimum.
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman
- Colour psychology in business wear
- Can Denim Ever Belong in the Office?
- How to dress correctly for a black-tie event
- Avoid Those Winter Fashion Mistakes With Our Top 5 Tips
- The Perfect Guide to Choosing a Winter Coat
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Dressing for Business Travel
- Mastering the Tape Measure – How to Size Yourself for a Suit
- Simply the best accessories to go with a business suit
- Classic Tie Knots Every Gentleman Should Know – The Four in Hand vs the Half Windsor
- Should you always dress to impress at a job interview?
- How to avoid a cheap suit – the tell-tale signs to look out for
- The gentleman’s guide to washing a shirt
- Style in Business – What to Wear to a Client Meeting
- Let’s Talk About Collars and Cuffs – a Guide to Formal Shirts
- The essential guide to layering your look this autumn
- Every man’s guide to packing a shirt for travelling