How to Wear and Care for a Linen Shirt
Posted on June 04 2021
Has the heat got you reaching for a fan, wondering how to manage those pesky sweat patches and stay cool while still maintaining your sartorial splendour? If so then a Linen shirt is the way to go!
Here we look at the humble yet heroic Linen shirt - how to style it best, how to care for it and some interesting little snippets about the wonder fabric along the way!
Firstly, lets hit you with few facts about why Linen is such a great fabric. Unbeknown to some the fabric is derived from the fibres of the flax plant. Prior to the 16th century when mass cultivation of the plant led to its increased accessibility, it had been reserved for the likes of royalty, high serving military and clergymen. Widely known as the strongest natural fibre – it is far more durable than the more popular Cotton and Poplin fabrics used in Men’s shirting and comes with a whole host of natural benefits. It’s highly breathable due to its low thread count, its temperature regulating, its long lasting, it’s environmentally friendly - recyclable and biodegradable making it a not only a good fashion choice but one that helps to save the planet too! All this plus the fact it’s got a significantly higher production cost then cotton or synthetic materials means you might spend more on your initial investment but don’t worry – a good linen shirt could last you decades if you care for it properly – more on that shortly.
Now how to dress it - the most important part to get right!
Firstly, forget images of straw hats, espadrilles and poorly fitted linen suits – its 2021 and matching linen with various looks and tailored styles is most definitely in! One of the most important things to get right with wearing linen is colour and texture combos. You don’t want to overdo the linen look (see matching suit/shirt with straw hat cliché) and you don’t want to be a wish wash or mish mash of pale unflattering colours – it’s about balancing colour to make a central piece pop and layering textures to create a classy look! For total summer vibes wear an untucked shirt (though not to long!) with a pair of above-knee tailored shorts, remember - dark coloured shorts with a light-coloured shirt or vice versa, pastels work particularly well with this look. Pair a darker coloured shirt with a light pair of chinos for a semi formal look – you can roll the sleeves and undo a button or two to achieve a more relaxed look but remember that loose and comfortable should not equate too baggy and ill-fitting. For an even more formal but breezy look wear with a pair of tailored trousers but here some rules apply! Never a socked foot! The sharpness of the tailored trouser calls for a more relaxed footwear styling to blend with the linen shirt, sleeves down here looks best too.
You can hand or machine wash your Linen shirts though there are a few tips to help ensure you get the most longevity out of your shirt
- using a low spin setting will prevent the material getting twisted or stretched
- Wash darker colours in a lower temperature to prevent fading
- DO NOT use products that contain bleaching agents or harsh chemicals as they can weaken the fibres, you can wash lighter colours on a higher temp to help remove stains
- Lay out to dry in the sun or use a tumble drier on a low heat setting to avoid shrinkage while helping to settle some of the more stubborn wrinkles – though don’t forget the crinkling and wrinkling of linen is part of its natural beauty – embrace it!
At W H Taylor we have a great range of Linen shirts available and all come with a wide range of customisable options from collar to cuff style and more meaning each shirt is truly bespoke to you!
SHOP OUR RANGE NOW BY TYPING LINEN IN THE SEARCH BOX - WE HAVE GREAT SAVINGS FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY!
- How to Wear and Care for a Linen Shirt
- Shirt Collar Types Plus Who should and How to Wear Them!
- What to Wear For Men Spring 2021
- The Three Types of White Shirt Everyone Should Own!
- how to stay focused, professional and productive while working from home.
- Is it acceptable to wear a short sleeve shirt for business?
- Why pink is proving to be a popular choice in menswear
- How to overcome that office stress by working out at your desk
- The Most Popular Menswear Colours For Spring and Summer 2019
- Suit wearing rules you really should follow
- How Adaptive Clothing Is Making Fashion More Accessible
- 7 Menswear Trends Set to Dominate in 2019
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- best white shirts
- home working attire
- top tips for working from home
- what to wear on zoom meetings
- what to wear when working from home
- working from home