How to wear a blazer this summer
Posted on June 29 2018
A lightweight blazer is an excellent choice for wearing this summer. With a breathable fabric and a delightful summery shade, blazers are versatile enough to be dressed up when needed and get away with a smart casual night in the bar.
What is a blazer?
So, the last time you heard mention of a blazer was probably at school, right?
Traditionally, blazers were worn by members of rowing teams and cricket clubs and really became popular during the 1920s, but their history goes further back than that. It was the Lady Margaret Boat Club team from Cambridge University who created the blazer in 1825 as they wanted a sporty top they could row in that was befitting for their class and social status.
Developed from naval uniform jackets into something that was tailored but not as structured as a suit jacket, the team wore them in a bright shade, and that’s how it came to be known as a blazer.
Blazers were specifically designed to be worn as a separate with unmatched trousers, meaning that members could wear their team or club colours with anything in their wardrobe.
How should I choose the right blazer for me?
As blazers are tailored items, that means the fit and cut is important if you’re going to be able to wear it well. There needs to be enough room for movement but be a close fit. You don’t want it looking so loose that it looks more casual than smart. For a summer blazer, you want to opt for a cotton or linen fabric without lining to keep you cool.
In terms of colour, you need to consider what you’ll be wearing the blazer for. When worn for more formal occasions traditional colours like blue and grey are the conventional choice, but tailors are making them available in so many different shades and colours now that really, you’re only limited by what you’ll be wearing your blazer with.
If you’re feeling a dash daring, then you can opt for a patterned blazer instead. Available in stripes or check these are a great way of expressing your personality with some colour. We think the tartan blazers work particularly well.
So, what can I wear a blazer with?
Anything you want to! Shorts, jeans and chinos all work well with blazers for a summery look. We’d advise against anything too tailored and formal like suit trousers, but they were developed to be worn with unmatched trousers, so stretch your imagination a little!
What you shouldn’t do with a blazer is wear it as a coat. A lot of people think it should be worn as an outer layer, but that’s not the case. The weight of the fabric and fit of the blazer doesn’t lend itself to this purpose, so keep it as a simple layer over a dress shirt or t-shirt for best effect.
There you have it, the summer blazer and how to wear it. Have you got any style tips for wearing a blazer this summer? Drop them as a comment below.
Photo by freestocks.org from Pexels
- The Three Types of White Shirt Everyone Should Own!
- how to stay focused, professional and productive while working from home.
- Is It Acceptable To Wear a Short Sleeve Shirt For Business?
- Why pink is proving to be a popular choice in menswear
- How To Overcome That Office Stress by Working Out At Your Desk
- The Most Popular Menswear Colours For Spring and Summer 2019
- Suit wearing rules you really should follow
- How Adaptive Clothing Is Making Fashion More Accessible
- 7 Menswear Trends Set to Dominate in 2019
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- best white shirts
- home working attire
- top tips for working from home
- what to wear on zoom meetings
- what to wear when working from home
- working from home