How To Overcome That Office Stress by Working Out At Your Desk
Posted on March 06 2019
Although in-office gyms and workout zones are fashionable these days, many of us don’t have access to those facilities at work. Finding the time to workout regularly can be challenging but when exercise is proven to build resilience and reduce your stress, it’s a must do rather than a should do.
There are ways of fitting in exercise during your lunch break to avoid that mid-afternoon slump and have you prepared for the important work ahead. We’ve got you covered with these 3 easy to fit in workouts that the entire office will join in with in no time.
Ok, most work environments aren’t conducive to hitting the floor for fifty push-ups military style. If you can get away with doing that or can find a private room you can lock the door for ten minutes to practise your push-ups then go for it! Push-ups are fantastic for working out your pecs, deltoid and triceps muscles.
If, like most of us, you work in a more gentile and sedate environment, there is a desk-based variation you can practise instead. Place your hands flat on your desk, walk your feet away until you’re at a 45-degree angle and perform your modified push-up.
Word of warning – apply the brakes or use a solid chair for this exercise to avoid injury!
This is a fantastic strengthening exercise that only requires a stable chair to use (if you have a wheeled chair push it right back against the wall to avoid it moving as you exercise).
Sit right at the edge of your chair with your hands by your thighs. Now edge yourself forward until your butt is off the chair entirely and lower yourself down by bending your arms. Bring yourself up again by straightening your arms and there you have it – a chair dip.
Practice around 10 chair dips twice a day to strengthen your arms and legs and get some endorphins into your system to lower your stress levels throughout the day.
Ok, so you might not escape a few raised eyebrows while exercising in the office, so this one is more covert than the others.
Simply extend and raise your leg under your desk and hold it for twenty seconds before repeating with your other leg. Be careful not to lock your knees and that your chair doesn’t move backwards while doing this (unless you want an embarrassing story to tell!).
To make it a little more challenging you can make circle patterns with the foot of your extended leg, try alternating clockwise with anticlockwise to make your mind work a little harder.
There you have it, 3 easy to do exercises that can be done near your desk. There’s something obvious that everyone can do in an office to improve their fitness and that’s to always use the stairs!
- Why pink is proving to be a popular choice in menswear
- How To Overcome That Office Stress by Working Out At Your Desk
- The Most Popular Menswear Colours For Spring and Summer 2019
- Suit wearing rules you really should follow
- How Adaptive Clothing Is Making Fashion More Accessible
- 7 Menswear Trends Set to Dominate in 2019
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman