How To Measure a Shirt For a Perfect Fit
Posted on April 30 2017
A shirt that fits your body shape and size properly can make or break your look. You may
have spent a small fortune on your outfit, including your shirt, but if it does not fit in the right way, you will end up looking shoddy. If you have a shirt that fits you well, you can easily measure this in order to pass on the measurements to a shirt maker. This is a good alternative to measuring your body from scratch. These tips are also useful when buying a shirt off the peg. Here, we discuss how to measure a shirt for a perfect fit.
How to measure the shoulder width
Otherwise known as the yoke width, you can measure the shirt shoulder width by taking a buttoned up shirt, flat on the floor, and measure on the back, the point from where the yoke meets the sleeve, straight over to the same point on the other side.
How to measure the sleeve length
In order to measure the shirt sleeve length, take the unbuttoned shirt, and measure from the middle of the collar back (underneath the collar band), along the yoke, and down the sleeve to the end of the cuff.
How to measure the collar around
The collar measurement is really important. Take the unbuttoned shirt, and flatten it out around the collar. Measure from the button, right to the end of the button hole. You should then round this up to the nearest quarter inch, which will give you your collar around measurement.
How to measure a shirt length
The length of the shirt is determined by laying the shirt flat and measuring from the top of the back collar, straight down the middle of the back to the bottom hem.
The most popular measurements in insuring you are buying a good fitting shirt are the collar around, the sleeve length, the yoke width and the shirt length. However, other bespoke shirt measurements include chest width, mid section width, sleeve width and cuff around. Once a shirt maker has your measurements, you can order a shirt in any style or fabric, and know it will fit you perfectly. By providing your measurements to us at WH Taylor Shirtmakers, we can make you a shirt that is made to measure, ensuring the perfect fitting shirt every time. We will also hold your shirt measurements for your future orders for made to measure shirts.
- How to Wear and Care for a Linen Shirt
- Shirt Collar Types Plus Who should and How to Wear Them!
- What to Wear For Men Spring 2021
- The Three Types of White Shirt Everyone Should Own!
- how to stay focused, professional and productive while working from home.
- Is it acceptable to wear a short sleeve shirt for business?
- Why pink is proving to be a popular choice in menswear
- How to overcome that office stress by working out at your desk
- The Most Popular Menswear Colours For Spring and Summer 2019
- Suit wearing rules you really should follow
- How Adaptive Clothing Is Making Fashion More Accessible
- 7 Menswear Trends Set to Dominate in 2019
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- best white shirts
- home working attire
- top tips for working from home
- what to wear on zoom meetings
- what to wear when working from home
- working from home