How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
Posted on March 10 2018
A well-polished pair of shoes is a great way to make a fantastic first impression. This is something that has been known for generations, but it’d seem that the subtle art of shoe care is being lost as convenience and mass production takes over from craftsmanship. Where once a pair of shoes would last for decades, now we seem to be disposing of them on a regular basis.
Here are some helpful hints on getting maximum mileage out of your shoes.
Rotate your leather shoes
If you’ve been out in the rain, snow or overheated in summer, your shoes might be a little damp. It can take a day or so to fully dry out the leather so have another pair ready to wear when needed.
A great way to absorb moisture from shoes while maintaining their shape as they dry is by using a wooden shoe tree. Sometimes seen as old-fashioned, they work well and will prevent the leather from creasing too.
Treat your shoes to a good polish
Make sure the shoe is nice and clean by using a soft brush first and remove the laces to ensure that the tongue and upper get a good dose of polish. Use a clean rag, rather than a brush, to apply a good quality polish sparingly across the surface and leave to dry – this should take around 15 minutes but if you can, leave overnight).
Now it’s time to buff those shoes with a soft brush until the shine is to your liking. You need to be polishing on a regular basis as this protects the leather and maintains a high shine. You can apply a layer of wax as additional protection but make sure the shoes are clean and dry first.
If leather isn’t your thing, make sure you protect your suede shoes too
Honestly, don’t keep your hands off those blue suede shoes, they need some love and attention too. Both suede and nubuck can be treated with a suede protector spray before use, and any dirt and debris can be removed using a rubber suede brush.
Suede needs to be dried slowly and naturally rather than exposed to heat so factor this in when needed to treat stubborn stains with a suede specific shampoo or using steam to revive the shoes for a natural clean.
Avoid the washing machine with canvas shoes
Although canvas shoes claim to be machine washable, this will quickly break them down leaving them looking worn out. It’s far easier to hand wash with fabric shampoo and water and leaving them to dry naturally for long-lasting results.
And there you have it, four useful tips that’ll keep your shoes looking their best for years to come. If you have any hints or tips you’d like to share about shoe care, drop them as a comment below.
Photo by Fancycrave from Pexels https://www.pexels.com/photo/black-brown-classic-close-up-404168/
- Shirt Collar Types Plus Who should and How to Wear Them!
- What to Wear For Men Spring 2021
- The Three Types of White Shirt Everyone Should Own!
- how to stay focused, professional and productive while working from home.
- Is it acceptable to wear a short sleeve shirt for business?
- Why pink is proving to be a popular choice in menswear
- How to overcome that office stress by working out at your desk
- The Most Popular Menswear Colours For Spring and Summer 2019
- Suit wearing rules you really should follow
- How Adaptive Clothing Is Making Fashion More Accessible
- 7 Menswear Trends Set to Dominate in 2019
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- best white shirts
- home working attire
- top tips for working from home
- what to wear on zoom meetings
- what to wear when working from home
- working from home