Help - My Shirt is too Tight
Posted on June 30 2017
When you put on some weight, a shirt will usually still fit in terms of arm length and shirt length, however it is less likely to fit around the middle and across the shoulders. So, what should you do when you find yourself saying - my shirt is too tight.
When your shirt is too tight across the middle, it can make you look fatter than you actually are, just because it is ill fitting. This shirt tightness across the stomach area may be more noticeable when sitting down, and can even cause the embarrassing problem of a button to pop undone! No matter what the reason is for your shirt being too tight across the middle, the solution is to widen the shirt midsection. Even just increasing the midsection of the shirt by half an inch could be enough for the shirt to fit more comfortably and give an overall better look.
Similarly, when putting on some extra weight, you might find that a shirt will be tighter across the shoulders, most noticeable when stretching your arms forward, you will feel the tightness across the back of the shirt. The solution to this shirt tightness is to have rear pleats added which will allow extra movement in the shoulder, or adjust the armpit and top arm width, or increase the chest width. Another place on the shirt that it may feel tighter is around the collar. The more weight someone carries, the larger their collar size usually is. Having a larger collar made on a shirt is a straightforward alternation that can make your feel more comfortable.
If you are experiencing problems with the fit of your regular shirts in any of these specific places, then it is a good idea to consider the reasoning before paying for alterations. If it is due to temporary weight gain, then altering your shirts is an expensive and drastic measure. However, if your shape has changed and you have expensive shirts in the wardrobe that have become too tight, then having them altered by a proper tailor is a good solution. Having well fitting shirts is not only comfortable, but they make a better impression on others in work and social situations, and therefore give the wearer a greater confidence.
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman
- Colour psychology in business wear
- Can Denim Ever Belong in the Office?
- How to dress correctly for a black-tie event
- Avoid Those Winter Fashion Mistakes With Our Top 5 Tips
- The Perfect Guide to Choosing a Winter Coat
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Dressing for Business Travel
- Mastering the Tape Measure – How to Size Yourself for a Suit
- Simply the best accessories to go with a business suit
- Classic Tie Knots Every Gentleman Should Know – The Four in Hand vs the Half Windsor
- Should you always dress to impress at a job interview?
- How to avoid a cheap suit – the tell-tale signs to look out for
- The gentleman’s guide to washing a shirt
- Style in Business – What to Wear to a Client Meeting
- Let’s Talk About Collars and Cuffs – a Guide to Formal Shirts
- The essential guide to layering your look this autumn
- Every man’s guide to packing a shirt for travelling
- Gentlemen’s Fashion Styles This Autumn 2017
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Wearing Check Shirts
- A Quick Guide to Shirting Fabric and Weaves