The Gentleman’s Guide to Wearing Check Shirts
Posted on August 22 2017
Although the trend for all things check seems to circulate every few years, it’s a staple item for many of us. Versatile enough to dress up, or dress down, a check shirt is definitely a ‘must have’ item, but there are a few aspects to consider before buying your latest wardrobe addition.
What style are you going for with your check shirt?
From smart casual in the office, to weekend lumberjack, some careful consideration needs to happen when planning your outfit. It might seem tricky to know what can be achieved with a check shirt, so here’s some points to consider.
Thickness matters come rain or shine
Indoors or outdoors? Summer or winter? A thin cotton shirt is ideal for warmer temperatures, or when working in the office. If you’re wearing your check shirt as a jacket in autumn or winter, you’ll be wanting to opt for a thicker cotton with a t-shirt underneath.
Choose the colour carefully
Like with anything you wear, you need to match the colour of your check shirt with your skin tone to achieve great results.
If you’re on the pale side with dark hair, you want to be opting for a dark grey or blue base colour with light contrast colours like lilac or white. Make sure you avoid tan and yellow!
Those with dark skin and dark hair can get away with those bright shades of yellow, red, purple and teal but should avoid pale shades of green for best effect.
If you’re the opposite with light skin and light hair, it’d be wise to choose varying shades of the same colour – pale blue, light grey, and dusty rose work well. Avoid anything too bold like black, orange or yellow.
Check comes in a variety of styles
From gingham (left image) to plaid and windowpane – yeah, there’s a name for those different check designs based on the size of square and contrasting colours. Whilst the names don’t matter, the design you opt for does.
Smaller squares work well in a more formal setting where you need to look smart – in the office, or on a date, for example. Whereas the larger squares are much more casual and can be worn when you’re wanting to achieve that relaxed and comfortable effect.
Sleeve length is always a consideration when it comes to your desired look
Just like the design of a check shirt can emphasise smart or casual, so can the length of the sleeves. A longer sleeve works better under a jacker for a smarter look, but when that isn’t practical a short sleeve can work well teamed with a tie.
It’s all in the accessories
It’s what you wear with your check shirt that really makes the difference. From double shirting with a plain t-shirt underneath, to wearing with jeans or chinos. Sticking to the same base colour is important to ensure a smooth style that compliments your overall look.
Why don’t you ‘check’ out our range of check shirts right now – you can find them here.
- Why pink is proving to be a popular choice in menswear
- How To Overcome That Office Stress by Working Out At Your Desk
- The Most Popular Menswear Colours For Spring and Summer 2019
- Suit wearing rules you really should follow
- How Adaptive Clothing Is Making Fashion More Accessible
- 7 Menswear Trends Set to Dominate in 2019
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman