Can Denim Ever Belong in the Office?
Posted on December 28 2017
Jeans are a staple wardrobe item and they seem to have sneaked their way into office attire thanks to the likes of Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg.
But are jeans ever acceptable in a semi-formal environment?
There’s the excuse of ‘if successful CEOs can wear them, surely they’re appropriate for me too?’, right? The problem with that is they were wearing jeans, shirts and polo neck jumpers long before they were successful.
In fact, dressing the same every day is thought to be one of the reasons for their success. By reducing the number of decisions they must make each day, they can focus on the important tasks.
So, if you’re fed up with decision fatigue and want to start wearing denim in the office, there’s a few things you need to be aware of.
Make sure you’re clued up on your office dress code
If you work for a large company or organisation, there most certainly will be a dress code hidden away in the employee manual somewhere.
Sometimes, there’s the unwritten rules to be aware of too – it might be perfectly acceptable for the management to dress casually but less so for those on the shop floor that are involved with client acquisition, negotiations and sales.
So, it’s best to err on the side of caution and save the denim for dress down Friday and charity days.
What would your clients expect to be seeing you in?
First impressions will always matter, and your clients will have expectations based on your profession.
Lawyers wear sharp savvy suits.
Doctors wear a white coat.
Dentists wear scrubs.
Have a think about what you do and the industry culture you belong to. White collar professions generally don’t feature denim whereas Silicon Valley type careers (or locations) you can get away with.
If you do opt to wear jeans in the office – make sure you’re choosing the right style
Some jeans are too casual for the office, so there are a few pointers to bear in mind.
A dark and solid wash is essential – you’re replacing suit trousers here, so you need them to be as like for like as possible. Stonewash isn’t going to work well.
Your jeans need to be at their best – sounds obvious, doesn’t it?
You don’t want to be wearing a pair of faded, worn or torn jeans when meeting a client, so they should never make an appearance in a corporate environment.
Keep them plain – patterns, embroidery and logos don’t belong in the office. If you wouldn’t have them on a suit, don’t opt for a pair of jeans with them.
So, ultimately the answer to our question is – yes, denim can be acceptable in the office. But it comes down to being aware of your company culture, client expectations and the right pair of jeans that blends in effortlessly around a sea of sharp suits.
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman
- Colour psychology in business wear
- Can Denim Ever Belong in the Office?
- How to dress correctly for a black-tie event
- Avoid Those Winter Fashion Mistakes With Our Top 5 Tips
- The Perfect Guide to Choosing a Winter Coat
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Dressing for Business Travel
- Mastering the Tape Measure – How to Size Yourself for a Suit
- Simply the best accessories to go with a business suit
- Classic Tie Knots Every Gentleman Should Know – The Four in Hand vs the Half Windsor
- Should you always dress to impress at a job interview?
- How to avoid a cheap suit – the tell-tale signs to look out for
- The gentleman’s guide to washing a shirt