Best Shirt Collar for Formal Occasions.
Posted on August 08 2016
and collar styles which suit the dress code better than others. As shirtmakers, we are often asked what the best shirt collar is for formal occasions, and we have a couple on our website when ordering your handmade formal shirt to choose from. The Cutaway Collar or the Classic Collar, on Marcella shirts, is the standard choices for formal wear shirt collars here.
Historically, it was the Wing Collar which was worn as part of Black Tie ensemble, which was detachable, and a stiff and starched piece of the shirt. There is one faux pas however, and many people without knowledge of how to wear formal shirts as evening wear, mostly those who hire their attire, fall into this trap. Because of the stiff nature of the Wing Collar, it does not suit a softer pleated evening shirt, however this poor combination is so often worn.
The Cutaway collar looks good with a full or half Windsor tie knot, although it also looks ok without a tie too (not that you should go without a tie on formal occasions). A formal wear shirt with a cutaway collar is a modern take on a traditional design. The classic collar is an excellent choice and any sort of tie knot will sit beautifully on a shirt with a classic collar.
WH Taylor Shirtmakers offer a range of Marcella shirts for evening wear, with cutaway and classic collar styles. For a handmade to measure evening shirt for formal occasions, see our high quality range. We are happy to make bespoke evening shirts to your specifications.
- The Most Popular Menswear Colours For Spring and Summer 2019
- Suit wearing rules you really should follow
- How Adaptive Clothing Is Making Fashion More Accessible
- 7 Menswear Trends Set to Dominate in 2019
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman
- Colour psychology in business wear
- Can Denim Ever Belong in the Office?