Are Your Shirt Sleeves Too Long?
Posted on May 13 2017
Even if you don't buy your shirts made to measure, most people will take the time to measure themselves and get the right collar size and chest size. But, are your shirt sleeves too long? Shirt sleeve length matters, and can give the impression of a dreadful fitting shirt if ignored. Here are a few tips to help you decide if your shirt sleeves are too long, and what you can do about it if they are.
It might sound obvious, but here we'll let you know how you can tell if your shirt sleeves are too long. If the cuffs, and/or sleeve, come down over your hands, then the arms of the shirt are too long. If the cuffs are coming too far out the bottom of your jacket sleeve, again, they are too long.
What does the perfect shirt sleeve length feel like?
In order to determine the perfect shirt sleeve length, you should stand with your arms relaxed at your side. With your arms straight, and the cuffs unbuttoned, you should see the cuff finish where the first knuckle on your thumb is. This is around a quarter or a third down the back of your hand. This length then allows for your cuffs to be buttoned at the wrist, and a little extra sleeve length to allow for bending and raising the arms.
How should the shirt cuff fit?
The shirt cuff should be comfortable and not tight, yet just tight enough to stop the sleeve sliding down over the hand. The way in which cuffs are measured, is from the centre of the button, to the button hole, and this should be just under 2 inches larger than the measurement of your wrist. If the cuff is sliding over your hand, or there feels as if there is too much fabric at the wrist, then the cuff needs to be tighter.
How much cuff should I show when wearing a jacket?
When wearing a dinner jacket, or a sports jacket or blazer, it is protocol to show some cuff. Having the correct sleeve length for your shirt, and your jacket, should lead to you getting this right. You may fin that you need your jacket sleeves altered however to allow for about a quarter of an inch of shirt sleeve to show.
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman
- Colour psychology in business wear
- Can Denim Ever Belong in the Office?
- How to dress correctly for a black-tie event
- Avoid Those Winter Fashion Mistakes With Our Top 5 Tips
- The Perfect Guide to Choosing a Winter Coat
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Dressing for Business Travel
- Mastering the Tape Measure – How to Size Yourself for a Suit
- Simply the best accessories to go with a business suit
- Classic Tie Knots Every Gentleman Should Know – The Four in Hand vs the Half Windsor
- Should you always dress to impress at a job interview?
- How to avoid a cheap suit – the tell-tale signs to look out for
- The gentleman’s guide to washing a shirt
- Style in Business – What to Wear to a Client Meeting
- Let’s Talk About Collars and Cuffs – a Guide to Formal Shirts
- The essential guide to layering your look this autumn
- Every man’s guide to packing a shirt for travelling
- Gentlemen’s Fashion Styles This Autumn 2017
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Wearing Check Shirts
- A Quick Guide to Shirting Fabric and Weaves