A Guide to Striped Shirts
Posted on June 13 2017
Shirts can come in all sorts of patterns, however there are some common types of patterned fabric that are most commonly used for shirt making. One of these is stripes. Stripes can come in a variety of designs, each with their own terminology. Here we have put together a short guide to striped shirts, enabling you to understand all the terms when it comes to buying striped shirts.
Images courtesy Acorn fabrics Limited
Striped Shirt Fabric
Stripes as a pattern might sound obvious, however there are various types of stripes one can have when it comes to shirt patterns. Below are the names of shirt stripes you need to know when buying a striped shirt. See Collection >>
Awning Stripe - Starting with the largest style of stripe on shirt fabric, the Awning stripe is usually wider than a quarter of an inch, and takes it's name from awning striped fabrics. This style of striped shirt is usually used for casual shirts.
Bengal Stripes - Bengal stripes are vertical stripes, usually a colour against a white background. The coloured stripes are around quarter of an inch wide.
Candy Stripes - Candy stripes are vertical stripes again, however they are thinner that Bengal Stripes, usually around an eighth of an inch wide. The term 'candy stripe' comes from the striped pattern that appears on traditional candy canes.
Pencil Stripes - Pencil stripes are as above, however narrower still. It is the size of stripe that comes between a pinstriped shirt, and a candy stripe. The width of the pencil stripe is usually a different width to the white background it appears on, and they are sometimes referred to as Dress Stripes.
Pin Stripes - Pin stripe is a common type of striped shirt fabric, often used in work environments such as business and finance. The pinstripe is narrower still than the pencil stripe.
Hairline Stripes - As you may have guessed, Hairline stripes are the thinnest stripes, around the width of an actual human hair. A shirt with hairline stripes will actually appear as a solid colour with texture, because they are so fine and close together.
Shadow Stripes - Shadow stripes can refer to any width of vertical stripe that has been mentioned above. When a stripe has been outlined, bordered, or a shadow effect created, then it is referred to as a Shadow stripe. This kind of striped shirt fabric design can be in a number of colours, or in keeping with the main stripe to form a real shadow effect.
- Is It Acceptable To Wear a Short Sleeve Shirt For Business?
- Why pink is proving to be a popular choice in menswear
- How To Overcome That Office Stress by Working Out At Your Desk
- The Most Popular Menswear Colours For Spring and Summer 2019
- Suit wearing rules you really should follow
- How Adaptive Clothing Is Making Fashion More Accessible
- 7 Menswear Trends Set to Dominate in 2019
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?