A Guide to Shirt Ply and Thread Count
Posted on June 22 2017
When looking to buy shirts, you may often notice shirt ply and thread count mentioned in the description. This isn't something that most people know about, however it is relevant when buying high quality shirts. Here we have put together a simple guide to shirt ply and thread count.
What does a high thread count mean?
The higher the thread count, the silkier and smoother the fabric usually is. A shirt with a high thread count is usually more expensive than a shirt with a lower thread count, and even if the same cotton is used for the fabric, the thread count will make a huge difference. The thread count is referred to in numbers, with 140 being higher than 120, and 160 being higher than 140 as our 'Superfine' range.
Is a higher thread count shirt better?
It is not a case of a shirt with a higher thread count being 'better' than another, just different. The thread count that you prefer will depend on the feel and weight you want from your shirt, so see what you prefer before automatically choosing the highest thread count. Example, our new 'Compact' shirts give a feel and look of the 140's for lower cost.
What is Single Ply, Two-Ply and Three-Ply?
When referring to fabric, including shirt fabric, the ply refers to how many yarns make up one thread. Two yarns twisted together to make the thread means the fabric made from this is two-ply, and three yarns twisted together will make three-ply. If you see a shirt fabric described as 100/2 x 100/2, this translates to 100s two-ply threads which run both upwards and across to make up the fabric. These numbers can appear more complex, but this is a simple explanation as to what they refer to.
Should I buy a certain shirt thread count and ply?
As we mentioned before, a high thread count shirt will give a softer and silkier fabric, however it is not necessary that a dress shirt need have a high thread count. There are many other factors which are relevant when buying a good shirt, be it a dress shirt or a casual shirt, and the cut of the shirt and the quality of the fabric overall are major considerations. A lower ply will be easier to iron too.
If you are in doubt about what shirt thread count is best, or what shirt ply to buy, WH Taylor Shirtmakers are happy to assist you.
- Why pink is proving to be a popular choice in menswear
- How To Overcome That Office Stress by Working Out At Your Desk
- The Most Popular Menswear Colours For Spring and Summer 2019
- Suit wearing rules you really should follow
- How Adaptive Clothing Is Making Fashion More Accessible
- 7 Menswear Trends Set to Dominate in 2019
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman