What is a Double Cuff Shirt?
Posted on December 12 2015
Men's shirts come with a wide variety of cuff styles, and it can sometimes be a little confusing to know the differences between them all. So, what exactly is a double cuff shirt? A 'Double Cuff' is another name given to the 'French Cuff', which is a cuff style most people have heard of. The double cuff is twice as long as a regular cuff would be, and this enables it to be folded back on itself and closed with cufflinks. Some shirt makers will allow an extra hole in the cuff so that they can be adjusted in length to fit the individual better, although if you have your shirt made to measure for you then this issue of fit wouldn't be a problem.
A double cuffed shirt is a classy shirt style and one that evokes power and a well dressed aura. A quality shirt with double cuffs, or french cuffs, is a good shirt style to wear at weddings, black tie events, and for some business meetings too. You should be able to see the shirt about a quarter of an inch to half an inch below the edge of the blazer sleeve. Because the double cuff is kept together with cuff links, this will allow the cufflink to be seen, or to be partially seen at least. Cufflinks can be chosen according to your taste and there are many to choose from depending on your dress sense and occasion, this is a way you can add some individuality to your attire.
Most 'off the shelf' shirts have a standard cuff, however if you have your shirt made to measure by an established shirtmaker then you can request a double cuff as part of the shirt design if that is what you so desire.
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman
- Colour psychology in business wear
- Can Denim Ever Belong in the Office?
- How to dress correctly for a black-tie event
- Avoid Those Winter Fashion Mistakes With Our Top 5 Tips
- The Perfect Guide to Choosing a Winter Coat
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Dressing for Business Travel
- Mastering the Tape Measure – How to Size Yourself for a Suit
- Simply the best accessories to go with a business suit
- Classic Tie Knots Every Gentleman Should Know – The Four in Hand vs the Half Windsor
- Should you always dress to impress at a job interview?
- How to avoid a cheap suit – the tell-tale signs to look out for
- The gentleman’s guide to washing a shirt
- Style in Business – What to Wear to a Client Meeting
- Let’s Talk About Collars and Cuffs – a Guide to Formal Shirts
- The essential guide to layering your look this autumn
- Every man’s guide to packing a shirt for travelling