5 Types of Shirt Collars
Posted on March 21 2017
There are various types of shirt collars which are common for men to wear. Whether you buy something off the peg, or have a bespoke shirt handmade for you, you can usually choose the type of collar you prefer. While a modern collar now tends to be shorter and wider spread than it used to be, the beauty of getting a shirt made for you is that you can choose what collar is going to work for you. Here are the most common types of shirt collar you need to know.
A spread collar can be worn with a tie, and looks good for a number of occasions, be it business, formal or casual. The word Spread refers to the space between the collar points, and the size of the spread can vary from collar to collar depending on the style of the shirt overall.
A Classic shirt collar is extremely common, and is a traditional collar shape. A tie works very well with a Classic Collar, and it can wear a large knot well. Almost any style of neck tie will work on a shirt with a Classic Collar shape.
A button-down collar is self-explanatory in the sense that it buttons down, attaching the points directly to the shirt. Because this type of shirt collar is more casual in style, it can be worn with or without a tie, and look good. A shirt with a button-down collar can be worn for a formal occasion, for business, or as a casual option.
Similar to a Spread Collar, a Cutaway Collar has a space between the two points, but they point outward instead of down. The Cutaway Collar is an excellent choice to wear with a full or half Windsor tie knot, however it is equally suitable to be worn without a tie.
The Semi-cutaway collar is a hybrid of a Classic collar and a standard Cutaway collar. Common in business shirts, this is a good option to wear with a neck-tie, and it looks smart yet can look contemporary too.
The beauty or ordering your shirts bespoke is that you can choose exactly the type of collar you want on your shirt. WH Taylor Shirtmakers make shirts with a variety of collar styles that will suit any of your needs - so whether you are looking for a handmade shirt or a bespoke shirt maker in England, we are here to help.
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman
- Colour psychology in business wear
- Can Denim Ever Belong in the Office?
- How to dress correctly for a black-tie event
- Avoid Those Winter Fashion Mistakes With Our Top 5 Tips
- The Perfect Guide to Choosing a Winter Coat
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Dressing for Business Travel