5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
Posted on September 17 2018
There’s little doubt now that summer is officially over as we’re waking up to colder mornings and turning on the central heating as we get home. Autumn and winter are always interesting when it comes to fashion trends as art meets practicality and warmth becomes a priority.
We’ve investigated the upcoming trends, so you don’t have to, and here we share with you all that you need to know to stay fashionable over the upcoming colder months.
- It’s all about the check
We adore checked shirts here at W H Tailor Shirtmakers, so of course, we’re delighted to see checks spread far and wide in clothing this autumn. All kinds of checks are a win, and yes, we’re seeing them on absolutely everything from coats and suits to hats and even shoes.
In terms of office wear we’d say keep it cool, checked suits can be loud and outrageous and certainly aren’t everyone’s cup of tea. A simple checked shirt is a great way to adopt the trend and still look sharp in the workplace.
- We can’t shake off corduroy
We saw corduroy make a welcome return last autumn and it looks like it’s sticking around for a while. The ribbed velvet fabric is increasingly being used for suits which we think makes a change from the more casual looks it’s so well known for.
Regarding suits, darker corduroy works best with dark green and red adding an exciting touch over regular dark blue and black. We think that a simple plain coloured works well with this fabric for a cool rather than clownish look.
- Pinstripes are back
Just when you thought that smart casual was here to stay, pinstripe suits have made a return. While you might think it only works for bankers, city financiers and formal occasions, designers have added a subtle twist by diluting the stripe and giving the suit a more sports like feel – think Oxford blazer and you won’t be too far off the mark.
- The multi-layered look is strong this Autumn
We’re big fans of layering here at W H Tailor Shirtmakers and have written a blog on how to get it right, so we were delighted to see that fashion houses are on trend this year and encouraging everyone to adopt the layered look this year.
The fashion designers have taken a rather bold look with layers of four or more making a catwalk appearance but remember the golden rule of ‘if you remove a piece does the outfit still look complete’ and if it’s a yes, you’re on to a sure thing.
- A flashback to the 80’s
Many of us look back at the 90s with fondness, the fashion trends though we thought were safely left behind. Perhaps not, as animal print, wide-shouldered suits and oversized sneakers are back with a vengeance.
One thing we don’t mind making a comeback is leather, which you’ll see in abundance this year from trousers to trench coats. There really is something timeless about leather, and its versatility ensures that any leather you buy will become anchor pieces in your wardrobe for years to come.
- The Three Types of White Shirt Everyone Should Own!
- how to stay focused, professional and productive while working from home.
- Is It Acceptable To Wear a Short Sleeve Shirt For Business?
- Why pink is proving to be a popular choice in menswear
- How To Overcome That Office Stress by Working Out At Your Desk
- The Most Popular Menswear Colours For Spring and Summer 2019
- Suit wearing rules you really should follow
- How Adaptive Clothing Is Making Fashion More Accessible
- 7 Menswear Trends Set to Dominate in 2019
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- best white shirts
- home working attire
- top tips for working from home
- what to wear on zoom meetings
- what to wear when working from home
- working from home