Shirt Collar types
Posted on August 12 2015
When having a bespoke shirt made at W.H. Taylor Shirtmakers, you are able to choose from various shirt collar styles. Choose from a classic collar style, a cutaway, a button collar, under-button collar, a spread collar or straight. See Here >>
The classic shirt collar style is one of the most common and versatile of shirt collar styles, and the length of it has shortened over the decades considerably. The longer the collar on a classic collar then the more 1970's it is likely to look in style.
The cutaway is the widest of the spread type collars, having a very wide 'cutaway' gap at the front, and is perfect for wearing wide knot ties with. The button down collar looks good with a tie, or worn open collar without a tie. It is a good look for casual or for regular business and goes well with a blazer worn over the top. On an under-button collar, the collar is designed to stand up and look smart, with button underneath to support this.
A spread collar has a wider space at the front, and this works well with larger tie knots, but it also is worn with usual types of ties and knots where the collar band shows from beneath. The spread collar is a popular choice when worn with a Windsor Knot. There are a number of variations on the spread collar, but the general rule of style is the same.
The straight collar is a perfect collar for smaller to wider knots and looks good when worn with a skinny tie. This type of collar is a neutral type of shirt collar and doesn't have any restrictions about when and where it should be worn.
- Why pink is proving to be a popular choice in menswear
- How To Overcome That Office Stress by Working Out At Your Desk
- The Most Popular Menswear Colours For Spring and Summer 2019
- Suit wearing rules you really should follow
- How Adaptive Clothing Is Making Fashion More Accessible
- 7 Menswear Trends Set to Dominate in 2019
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman