3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
Posted on September 01 2018
Trying to find clothes that fit well can be something of a hassle when you’re on the short side.
And by short we mean anyone that doesn’t quite reach the clothing industry standard of 5’ 8” and struggles with making things fit right.
We understand how tricky it can be here at W H Taylor Shirtmakers which is why we offer a full range of customisations on our shirts to ensure a perfect fit every time. But, you’re not going to find that kind of service everywhere, which is why we’re sharing our 3 favourite hacks for staying sharp and looking good as a shorter gentleman.
- Keep everything on the small side
Those oversized prints are never going to look good when you’re short. Why? Proportion.
Keeping everything in proportion is vital if you want to look sharp and that means paying attention to every little detail, things like:
- Choosing micro-sized prints and designs rather than big chunky patterns
- Opting for narrow collars, lapels and belts
- Wearing a slim watch rather than something big and chunky that’ll just look out of place
But, we need to consider the items as a whole when it comes to proportion too.
It might seem logical to take up the hem of a shirt a few inches to make it the right length, but this will only throw everything else off balance. The pockets will sit too low, sleeves will be too long and rather than looking stylish you’ll just look stumpy.
- Keep things a slim fit where you can
You want a sleek and streamlined silhouette when you’re a shorter gentleman, and that means opting for slim fit clothes rather than big and baggy. We’re not talking about tight and skinny fit here, those are difficult styles to pull off and don’t work well for every occasion.
What we are talking about is avoiding excess fabric and length.
If you can pull your shirt or top more than 2 inches away from your body – it’s too loose. You want some comfortable breathing room that still sits right on your body, and that means paying attention to the armholes too. Watch out for armholes that lie too low or are very large in comparison to your actual frame, these will only add more emphasis to your shorter stature.
- Pay attention to the vertical line
When you want to appear taller than you are, or simply draw attention away from your actual height, paying attention to the vertical line is the key to success. The vertical line is your complete outfit from top to bottom which should appear to be as seamless and unbroken as possible.
This means avoiding anything horizontal that creates the effect of cutting your look in half, things like:
- horizontal stripes
- big chunky belts – try braces instead
- contrasting colours -keep things low-key and similar where possible
- wide trousers that make the bottom half appear bigger than the top
It’s often about illusion when trying to look sharp and savvy as a shorter man, but by following our hacks, you’re going to be drawing attention to your ensemble for the right reasons.
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman
- Colour psychology in business wear
- Can Denim Ever Belong in the Office?
- How to dress correctly for a black-tie event
- Avoid Those Winter Fashion Mistakes With Our Top 5 Tips
- The Perfect Guide to Choosing a Winter Coat
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Dressing for Business Travel
- Mastering the Tape Measure – How to Size Yourself for a Suit
- Simply the best accessories to go with a business suit
- Classic Tie Knots Every Gentleman Should Know – The Four in Hand vs the Half Windsor
- Should you always dress to impress at a job interview?