how to stay focused, professional and productive while working from home.
Posted on January 25 2021
As we settle in to the new year and what is now becoming the norm for a huge amount of people, we ask... What are your main concerns when working from home? There seems to be a consensus that focus, professionalism and productivity are the key issues.
Here we give you five top tips in each area to help you along your way!
Its no surprise that staying focused when working in a home environment is difficult to adjust to, having the space, motivation, and uninterrupted time can be a challenge.
1. Start your day with a routine. Whether it’s a morning workout, some meditation or a simple relaxed breakfast that suits you be sure to start your day with purpose. Personal grooming and appropriate clothing choices are key to a positive start!
2. Make sure you have a dedicated workspace and set boundaries with other household members over time and space.
3. Establish a working pattern that suits you and gets the job done! We can benefit from a flexible routine but not having one is a sure-fire way to decrease focus on your tasks for the day.
4. Stay off social media! Avoid procrastination in all its forms after all 'Procrastination is the grave in which opportunity is buried'.
5. Remember it’s important to give yourself clear breaks - try if you can to get outside, fresh air and some vitamin D does wonders for our ability to regain focus.
From how we communicate to how we dress, a large part of how we are judged professionally is based on how we present as well as the work we produce. Platforms like Zoom, and Microsoft meetings are becoming the standard way we meet people in our daily work lives, so it’s important to make a good impression. Researchers at Northwestern University also found that not only does what we wear affect how others see us it affects how we perform mentally too! See link below for more (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0022103112000200)
6. Make sure your set up is clear, you are the mainframe and the lighting is on your side!
7. Be on time! Take a few minutes prior to any meeting to adjust your settings and check your connections
8. Make sure you are comfortable! This is important, if you are not comfortable in your setting or what you are wearing this can soon become apparent, a distraction and quickly make you seem unprofessional!
9. Choose the right clothes - maintaining a smart attire is important always! But it can vary depending on your level of profession. A button-down shirt or blouse in a lightweight fabric is always a good idea.
10. Don’t give them too much to look at! Minimise chaotic backgrounds and stick to wearing solid colours and neutrals, busy prints could be distracting. You want the focus to be on what you are saying rather than what you are wearing.
Maintaining productivity can be difficult when you’re a one man band or left to your own devices, it’s proven that if we dress well it also improves our attitude and focus!
11. Take regular short breaks – step away from the screen!
12. Time management can be tricky when going solo, there is a whole host of techniques, tools and software you can use depending on whether you're looking to improve personal time management or that of your business or organisation, see this article (https://www.timecamp.com/blog/2018/07/15-effective-proven-time-management-techniques-2020/) for more.
13. Create physical and mental separations – physically it’s about where you are and how you feel, this combines largely with the tips for focus – have you prepared yourself physically and mentally for a work day?
14. Having a designated ‘work dress code’ can help you feel more separated from your usual home ‘self’ and prevent you from being distracted by chores and other household duties.
15. Remember to switch off! While it’s important to stay focused, productive and professional – remember your work day is not 24hrs. Turn of those email notifications, shut down and take some time for yourself – you deserve it!
- The Three Types of White Shirt Everyone Should Own!
- how to stay focused, professional and productive while working from home.
- Is It Acceptable To Wear a Short Sleeve Shirt For Business?
- Why pink is proving to be a popular choice in menswear
- How To Overcome That Office Stress by Working Out At Your Desk
- The Most Popular Menswear Colours For Spring and Summer 2019
- Suit wearing rules you really should follow
- How Adaptive Clothing Is Making Fashion More Accessible
- 7 Menswear Trends Set to Dominate in 2019
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- best white shirts
- home working attire
- top tips for working from home
- what to wear on zoom meetings
- what to wear when working from home
- working from home