What is the Best Job Interview Shirt?
Posted on February 01 2016
A job interview is not solely about dressing well, obviously the interviewers want to know about what you have to offer and how suitable you are for the job. However, the way you dress does form that initial first impression, and so it is best to get it right. For most job interviews, no matter what the dress code is for the actual position, a suit is the normal attire.
A dark blue suit is a good choice, or a dark grey or black. When it comes to choosing a shirt for the job interview a blue or white shirt is acceptable, however white is always the best choice. A straight collar with a medium spread is a good formal choice of shirt collar. Choose a dark colour of tie to wear, and keep it conservative and subtle. Avoid anything too fancy, such as tab collars, collar studs, or wide spread collars, also avoid french cuffs as cufflinks are then something else you have to get right. At the end of the day, you want to look conservative and have the interviewer form opinions on what you say rather than your outfit's finishing touches.
When buying the perfect interview shirt, choose a quality cotton that will keep you cool, and one that looks fresh and crisp. An older discoloured shirt will really let you down.
You should not be trying to impress anyone with your job interview clothes, just give an impression of someone who has made every effort to look smart, and is taking the prospect seriously. The job interview should be about the goal of getting the job, and if successful you will have plenty of opportunity to appear more individual.
- Is It Acceptable To Wear a Short Sleeve Shirt For Business?
- Why pink is proving to be a popular choice in menswear
- How To Overcome That Office Stress by Working Out At Your Desk
- The Most Popular Menswear Colours For Spring and Summer 2019
- Suit wearing rules you really should follow
- How Adaptive Clothing Is Making Fashion More Accessible
- 7 Menswear Trends Set to Dominate in 2019
- 7 Types of Trouser Every Man Should Own
- A Gentleman’s Glossary to Buying a Suit
- Sweater style – how to wear knitwear well
- What to wear to the office Christmas party this year
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?