This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
Posted on June 06 2018
Fashion trends seem to rotate every few years and while we’ve had the horizontal stripe dominating the catwalks the last year or so, that’s now changed to make room for the vertical stripe. It’s not just shirts that vertical stripes are making an appearance on either, everything from bomber jackets to shorts are seeing the trend this summer.
One of the key benefits of wearing vertical stripes is that they create a slimming effect
This is because the eye is drawn down along the stripe which creates a lengthening effect and changes the mind’s perceptions. Clever stuff, right? There’s a trick to getting it right though, and it’s all in the width of the stripe. You want a visible stripe as anything too fine won’t be strong enough for the effect, but anything too chunky will just make you look like you’re wearing PJ’s.
There are a few different types of vertical stripe available for shirts, so let’s take a look at them in a little more detail.
Hairline stripes – a hair’s width apart. These are very thin and narrow stripes that are usually placed close together in a shirt. You want a clear and bright stripe that can be visibly seen for that slimming effect if you opt for a hairline stripe.
Pinstripes – a classic favourite and perfect for wearing to the office. The pinstripe is a design made up of thin stripes spaced wide apart, indeed, the space between the stripes is always much wider than the stripes themselves.
Candy stripes – another classic stripe design where the stripes are spaced around 1/8 inches apart from each other, reminiscent of striped rock you might find at the seaside. This is a great choice for breaking up a bright and vibrant colour, like green or pink.
Bengal stripes – these are stripes of two colours where the width is the same and each colour alternates. A bold and bright design that takes its name from the Bengal tiger and is also known as tiger stripes, and Regency stripes.
Shadow stripes – this is a fun and quirky stripe design where you’re wanting to add an extra splash of colour to your shirt. These stripes have darker lines immediately adjacent to them which gives them the look of a ‘shadow’.
What’s the best way to wear a shirt with vertical stripes?
It all comes down to the thickness of the stripe. If you’re wanting something formal that can be worn with a tie in the office, then pinstripe and hairline stripe shirts are going to be the best choice for you.
If you want something bright and bold, like the candy or Bengal stripe, you’d be better off leaving the tie in the wardrobe and wearing the shirt open necked for that smart casual flair. We think a striped shirt with open Cuban collar worn over a plain white shirt is a great look for this summer.
- Why you should be comfortable with cardigans this winter
- How to Wear White Jeans the Right Way
- 8 Essential Items Every Man Should Have in His Wardrobe
- 4 things to consider when buying a shirt
- What to wear with a black shirt
- Discover the best jackets on the High Street this Autumn and Winter 2018
- 5 Autumn Winter Fashion Trends to Wear in 2018/19
- 3 Hacks for Looking Sharp as a Shorter Gentleman
- Slim fit or regular? Which one should you choose when it comes to buying a suit?
- Linen shirts vs cotton – which is better this summer
- Everyman’s Guide to Wearing Tailored Separates
- Wedding Suits and How They Started
- A Brief History of Men’s Braces
- What’s the best way to care for my bespoke shirt?
- How to wear a blazer this summer
- The remarkable history of the necktie
- Summer shoes and how to wear them
- Top Tips for Staying Cool in the Office this Summer
- This Summer’s Big Shirt Trend – Vertical Stripes
- How to wear a checked shirt with style
- A gentleman’s guide to organising his wardrobe
- How to wear a short-sleeved shirt well this summer
- Formal Dress Codes Revealed – what they really mean
- The Denim Jacket – for the casual smart look this summer
- Why every man should own at least one Oxford shirt
- Suit colour combinations that work
- From field to shirt – explaining the cotton industry
- Nanotechnology – the future of modern clothing
- The impact of social media on menswear
- 21st Century Office Wear - have we seen the last of the three-piece suit?
- How to get the most mileage out of your shoes
- The gender differences of shirts and suits
- From Nightgowns to Business Wear – the Interesting History of the Humble Shirt
- Upcoming Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer 2018
- Why a tie can be more of a fashion disaster than a fashion statement in the office
- Valentine’s Day – a date to dress sharply for!
- The overlooked clothing item of the corporate world – socks
- Professional Image as a Freelancer – What Should You Wear When Meeting Clients?
- Should you be implementing a corporate dress code for your company?
- The Need to Know Guide to Buying a Suit for the Larger Gentleman
- Colour psychology in business wear
- Can Denim Ever Belong in the Office?
- How to dress correctly for a black-tie event
- Avoid Those Winter Fashion Mistakes With Our Top 5 Tips
- The Perfect Guide to Choosing a Winter Coat
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Dressing for Business Travel
- Mastering the Tape Measure – How to Size Yourself for a Suit
- Simply the best accessories to go with a business suit
- Classic Tie Knots Every Gentleman Should Know – The Four in Hand vs the Half Windsor
- Should you always dress to impress at a job interview?